• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Zebra Octopus For Sale In The Bay Area (a good thing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the exporters I know in Bali sells them for $18.50 and the price for them from the importers here in L.A. are around $100 and then most store sell them for ~$300. There is still a high depand for them the exporters only get in a few a week and they go quickly from what they say.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
That pretty much is in line with what I see in the Bay Area, although the price lists out of Bali vary quite a bit with availability. I had been told by friends in Indonesia that collectors were getting up to $20. If you are seeing price lists at $18.50, it is probably a quarter that - but still a day's wages.

Roy

I've been told that mimics sell for 5-6 times what the LFS pays for them and that mimics are now appearing on the wholesale livestock lists and can be ordered.

Unfortunately, that's the way things go as long as someone will buy it they will collect them in the case of the stores them selling them for 3-6 times what they pay for them if 2-4 of them die in the store before one is bought it is still profitable for the store and they will keep trying to get them. Even if we stop the importation into the U.S. there are still plenty of buyers in Europe and Asia. There still is a lot of research that needs to be done on them as far as population distribution and density. Once we get that data you can proceed to try to get collecting regulations passed, which is the only real way to stop the majority of the collecting. The only other way would be to captive raise them which as we've seen is no easy task and even with that it would only slow the importation.

OoNickoC

Blue Ring
Registered
Neogonodactylus;82204 said:
That pretty much is in line with what I see in the Bay Area, although the price lists out of Bali vary quite a bit with availability. I had been told by friends in Indonesia that collectors were getting up to $20. If you are seeing price lists at $18.50, it is probably a quarter that - but still a day's wages.

Roy
Just about all the LFS's from concord to sac pay a flat $75 for "Zebra Octopus". The LFS I used to work @ had one for 2 months, it began eating in the 3rd week and continued. I know the wrap on these guys but it was pretty active and gained whieght in our care, did better than a bimac that came in with it. To my knowledge it lived for about 8 months, in the owners 125.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Just to add about pricing - the price list is only the price of the animal, not the shipping. A single box costs the importer roughly 100 bucks, and a good packer will only put 2 or 3 octos in a box because they get packed in big bags with lots of water, the importer can end up having to add 50 bucks to the cost of the animal. Shipping is the killer when importing marine ornamentals.

That said, I think there will always be stores that will buy any octo regardless of being able to keep it or sell it.

Since I am kinda connected to the wholesale scene in my area, I was thinking of starting online sales for the cephs that come into the area instead of letting them vanish into LFS. Don't know though, do you guys think it makes any sense to try to get the animals that are coming in anyway to people who can care for them instead of LFS?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Would you be able to advertise these octopuses and see whether anyone needed one at the momenent? Or would you look for a particular species to come in, a kind of advance order? It's a fine idea, as long as you don't have to buy the octopuses as they come in and then try to find a buyer on TONMO.com. I notice that we may have many people looking for octos at one time, then in a few weeks the demand is satisfied and you might not be able to sell one that week.

It would certainly be a lot better for the octopuses!

What do the rest of you think?

Nancy

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Thales;87838 said:
Don't know though, do you guys think it makes any sense to try to get the animals that are coming in anyway to people who can care for them instead of LFS?

But how many people are there out there who can care for them? I like the idea, but I'm worried most of them would sit unsold.

tywtly

GPO
Registered
Neogonodactylus;82190 said:
Phuntoon,

You probably just told several LFS managers that there is real profit to be made trafficing in Mimics and Wunderpus. I don't know what this store paid for a "zebra" that went for $400, but from what I have seen of wholesale prices in the past, the selling price was probably 4-5 times what they paid for it and probably 20 times what the Indonesian collector received. To put this into perspective, $300 dollars profit is a drop in the aquarium for a large shop like Atlantis, but $20 to an Indonesian marine collector could be a weeks wages. With the pipeline open in the U.S. and Europe, you can be sure that the collector will be actively searching for more.

Roy

This world makes me sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.