• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Here is a pic of the whole system in its current configuration. Everything on the left can be removed pretty easily. Its all plumbed together, and there is a remote sump not pictured.

Thanks! :biggrin2: Its dumb! My family is very nice to me. There is a much nicer reef show tank in the other room, also with a remote sump:

Thales had you considered trying to make those plastic boxes into upwellers instead. You could flip them over so the opening is down and cover the whole opening with the breeder net. It would help prevent the collection of detritus.

On Tuesday, June 17, I discovered 1 in the afternoon.
On Wednesday, June 18 I discovered 1 in the evening.
On Thursday, June 19 I discovered 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening.
On Friday June 20 I discovered 2 in the morning.

So far a total of 6.

Roy has one of the babies - the one found/hatch on the morning of June 19.

The female is still in the barnacle, so I assume more are to come, and hatching apparently takes place over 4+ days.

I have not witnessed them eating, but the first born seems to be gaining in size. :biggrin2:

Found a baby last night and found a dead baby this morning in one of my baby cubes. I think the dead one was the 3rd discovered.
The first two seem larger that before and though I haven't actually seen them eat, I have seen them in what I think are eating postures.

Thales;120529 said:
Found a baby last night and found a dead baby this morning in one of my baby cubes. I think the dead one was the 3rd discovered.
The first two seem larger that before and though I haven't actually seen them eat, I have seen them in what I think are eating postures.

not meaning to be callous, but are you preserving the ones who don't make it for Roy?

Not callous at all, and you betcha. In this day and age, I don't see any argument for not preserving and sending cephs that researchers need/want for research. For hobbyists, its the very least that can be done for science. :biggrin2:

If things go the same as me you should be finding plenty more, I think all in all charlotte had around 20 something inklets so your just getting started. I'm wondering if we have the same species though. I will email you all the details and get in contact with you as soon as I can get to my computer at home.

what is the average survival rate for eggs? i know some octos lay A LOT of eggs, but how many make it long enough to grow up? does it differ from small-egg layers to large-egg layers?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back