• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Possibly O. chierchiae or O. zonatus, though the supplier says it came from Indo. Regardless, its another one of those "I wish they weren't collected" animals.

Got a call from a supplier they had two 'zebra' octos in. One turned out to be a 6 armed wunderpus, the other is this little guy. I wish the far looking version of ceph cert was up and running, as it could be used to place these animals. :biggrin2:

About the size of a US quarter. Acclimated, went in the tank, and is in the back corner waiting. Maybe more pics later.

PS, Roy, when are you coming over? :smile:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Just remember to check Roy's pockets on the way out!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Roy, the batch I first told you about were also initially listed as Indonesian????

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Thales;114816 said:
Possibly O. chierchiae or O. zonatus,

Looks like O. chierchiae based on the white border to the dark stripes (Roy- didn't you say that zonatus doesn't have it?). I might be in town next week- can I come check it out?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
It just arrived yesterday, so I haven't really been able to get a good look at it for sexing. I am trying to follow up on the origin.
You guys are all invited over anytime you can come by - shoot me a pm or email. :biggrin2:

I am swamped for the next couple days, so please forgive any lack of details. :biggrin2:

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
It seems she taken up residence behind the HOT overflow, so I am not seeing much of her. She was out last night, out meaning a couple arms came out from behind the HOT overflow intake. She hasn't touched the shore shrimp that are in with her, and I added a hermit crab to see what happens.

Hey another little charley! that looks just like him when I first got him, although when I picked him up from the store he was a very dark color (probably because he was cranky from his long trip). He even has the little eyelashes and the little thing poking out of the back of his head! This is really great I'm glad that there is a possible second candidate for your testing Roy it sounds like you know thales a little better and are in the same area so I'm sure that is much more convenient. Oh and I know I haven't posted anything in my journal lately but charley is doing just fine, he has lost all caution of fiddler crabs and now eats them frequently. I'm going to start adding purple up to my tank so I can put some nice looking safe corals in there for him and I to enjoy. Also if anybody can help me I can't seem to get rid of these different types of bacteria that form purplish blobs in the sand and I still can't get rid of the orange colored slimy algae that grows in my tank. Any suggestions?

Latest Posts