New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Don't use purple up - its a waste of time and money and will likely irritate your octos gills. Most additives are a waste. If you want to boost calcium and magnesium to grow coraline, use a good two part like ESV or buy additives in bulk from bulkreefsupply.com which is very inexpensive. The other algae will work themselves out with time and manual removal.

I am glad to hear charley is doing will - has he become day active at all?

Also, please do the little work after the death of charlie to get the samples to scientists like Roy and his colleagues. IMO, its the least we can do to further our understanding of these probably rare and under studied animals. From what I understood, Roy was going to send you a 'kit' to use when the octo dies, so it should be really really easy to prep the body and arm tip. I would be happy to pay for the shipping if need be. This is part of the service, along with placement of cephs into homes that can keep them, that the ceph cert idea will helpfully include one day. IMO, with animals like these, we need to be more than just consumers. :biggrin2:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
ReefScavengers;115100 said:
Funny, our Nicaragua supplier just got in a few this week as well; said he hasn't seen them in years!

You may want to read this thread for more information:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9023/

It seems consistent that these octos haven't been seen for years, but have appeared suddenly. It's worrisome since this could mean that there are very few left in the wild... if you have further details, I'm sure a number of people here would be interested.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I would like to see any of these animals go to a breeding program, I think we have three ceph breeders in my area, so if we could get them all it would be great. PM's sent. I would hate to see these animals, at this time, get sent here and there which sadly has been happening. Getting a breeding program going could easily supply the demand for these animals while leaving the wild populations alone.

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Thales;115105 said:
I would like to see any of these animals go to a breeding program, I think we have three ceph breeders in my area, so if we could get them all it would be great. PM's sent. I would hate to see these animals, at this time, get sent here and there which sadly has been happening. Getting a breeding program going could easily supply the demand for these animals while leaving the wild populations alone.

I second that!
Not sure now if I'll be in Oakland on Wed- but I'll keep you posted when I find out the work schedule.

C

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Not really adjusting, just out a little at night. Seems like generally it would be a terrible pet. I saw it less than I saw the wunderpus!

I received a second one from reefscavengers yesterday, it is about the size of my pinkynail. Cute. Its in a cube set up that I plumbed into the main system. The original one was just moved into the cubes as well.

A supplier for reefscavengers had three more, but they escaped into the suppliers system before they were to be shipped to me. Seems like a case of the supplier no knowing about the escape abilities of occys - they went through tiny holes in the containers.

Hopefully pics of the set up and occys later today.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Super cool!

Crissy was just here, and it looks like the first one, the larger one, is female. Baye already preggers? But, even, more exciting, the second one, much smaller is a male. Tomorrow night, we're putting them together!

Here is a pic of the female. :biggrin2: