• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

New Wunderpus

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Interesting. I think we've had a few successes here, @Jules77, dig through the archives a bit via our Search function.

Personally I'll be interested in whether a species like this is even viable for a home tank. Cephalopod species seem to range wildly in terms of cognitive ability and general behaviors. I'm curious about your observations on vibrancy, "happiness/frustration" (subjective), and general health (eating, consistency across day-parts, etc.)

Jules77

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Now 4 weeks in.
Mantel has grown from 1cm to 3cm
Prime health. Vibrant colours.
From taking defrosted tiger prawn and spearing. Has now learnt that the ghost shrimp/feeder shrimp feed off these and then consumes them. Due to my location and availability of live shrimp I add 30 at a time to aquarium. Feeders crabs as you may call them are at least 30 dollars each so not an option.
Now active all day. Sleeps for an hour in the afternoon. Probably learned lack of preds. Human intervention. A difficult one. Yes he acknowledges me. Spends a lot of time on the glass. Very difficult to access as have not kept an octopus before. Doesn't appear stressed.
I have very fine live sand. He avoids the live rock. Sleeps in the sand fully submerged with just the temples protruding.
Handling. Been on my hand. No bites. Jury out on wether bite can be harmful.
No strength I presume to open cover glasses. As yet no escape observed.
Would I recommend this species ? Seems to adapt well to captivity. Professional conclusion is open. We keep queen angels in Europe in 5 ft tanks. I call that terrible. So very difficult to keep an open mind.
Availability. Have 12 arriving next week for a breeding program. Some have eggs see pic
Yes they even send them with eggs. Very poor.
Have abundant food of Rotifers and bbs. Going to use local seawater as a means of feeding. Any help appreciated. If successful happy to send a few of the offspring to you. Just comment

Jules77

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Now 4 weeks in.
Mantel has grown from 1cm to 3cm
Prime health. Vibrant colours.
From taking defrosted tiger prawn and spearing. Has now learnt that the ghost shrimp/feeder shrimp feed off these and then consumes them. Due to my location and availability of live shrimp I add 30 at a time to aquarium. Feeders crabs as you may call them are at least 30 dollars each so not an option.
Now active all day. Sleeps for an hour in the afternoon. Probably learned lack of preds. Human intervention. A difficult one. Yes he acknowledges me. Spends a lot of time on the glass. Very difficult to access as have not kept an octopus before. Doesn't appear stressed.
I have very fine live sand. He avoids the live rock. Sleeps in the sand fully submerged with just the temples protruding.
Handling. Been on my hand. No bites. Jury out on wether bite can be harmful.
No strength I presume to open cover glasses. As yet no escape observed.
Would I recommend this species ? Seems to adapt well to captivity. Professional conclusion is open. We keep queen angels in Europe in 5 ft tanks. I call that terrible. So very difficult to keep an open mind.
Availability. Have 12 arriving next week for a breeding program. Some have eggs see pic
Yes they even send them with eggs. Very poor.
Have abundant food of Rotifers and bbs. Going to use local seawater as a means of feeding. Any help appreciated. If successful happy to send a few of the offspring to you. Just comment

Attachments

• IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 24

Jules77

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Having had an argument today with the importers. Due to the fact they would send Females with eggs. Really ??
In conclusion and extremely important. I believe this species is being collected on mass with no respect for the wild population. Money and profit seems the indicating factor. My professional option is we should only import a species which we hope has a chance of survival and life enrichment. To reproduce is a must. A different importer has the white spotted octopus. Which I shall use for the breeding program.