• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Sorry for the lack of updates guys - been traveling and got a summer job (at least) at a public aquarium and have been busy!

Roy was over tonight and we were going to mate them, but when we went to get the female out of her barnicle, I noticed eggs. EGGS! There are only a few, didn't really look that close because we had already stressed her, but I try in the next few days.

Here is a nice shot though:

Since the eggs were found, she has tipped the barnacle opening down and won't let me budge it. I was able to get her to take a dead shrimp a few days ago, and last night she wasn't interested at all in eating.
The two males are cute, out at night and took to dead food right away.

The males are in separate cubes, and they all, including the female, ate last night - fed via long tweezers. I was able to see into the females barnacle, but she wouldn't let me see the whole inside, so I don't know if the eggs are still there. However, I am encouraged they are because she will not come out of the barnacle.

Just an aside: after the cutoff date for photos for our book, I've noticed that you and other Tonmo members have been taking incredibly beautiful photos. Have to do a second book :smile:

Hope all goes well with your breeding program!

Nancy

:biggrin2:

Thanks for including so many of my pics in the book.

Its been about 3 weeks, so hopefully kids soon. She has turned her barnacle upside down again. :biggrin2:

Hey Colin -

It was so interesting. When the barnacle was up, she wouldn't budge from one side of it. Since she still won't prowl at night, I am guessing the eggs are still in there.

Fed them all again tonight. The males are starting to come out earlier and be much less afraid of me. They are eating out in the open :biggrin2:

The female is still holed up in her barnacle. I put a shrimp near the barnacle and she pulled the barnacle down tight to the tank floor. I turned around for a minute, and she had pushed the barnacle up about a quarter inch and pulled the shrimp in.

I am still hopeful that she is brooding eggs because she is being so secretive, which was not the case at all before the eggs.

If you are now breeding, am I wrong to say that you will be selling these eventually? I was just wondering what size tank you think these guys need as they are so small..... I was thinking of plumbing a 20-40 gallon tank into my soon to be 75 (which arrives on saturday...BTW) eventually I could use it for an octo of some type with the 75 as my cuttlefish tank. Is 20-40 gallons too small, and what level of care do these take? I dont want to seem like I'm rushing into this, I'm just feeling my way through a dark tunnel. :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back