• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Brock,

Don't let Dana (or his girlfriend) see that! I can guarantee he is a VERY much a guy :biggrin2:. I have not met him (as in face to face) but I have bought several things directly from him (not via eBay), talked with him at length over the phone, briefly met the guy he works for last week (Tom of Tom's Tropicals) and he used to do some airport driving for SealifeInc.net (I am the webmaster here so thanks for the mention since I don't feel I can brag on Ken too much on the forum). Small world :wink:

What I did not know was that Dana closed his eBay store and started his own website. The eBay store closing must have happened very recently since his link to see what else he has for sale is not working and there are still some loose ends on the site.

If anyone is interested, Dana is a FL keys diver and will take orders for unusual fish or critters. Just remember that the warehouse is the ocean and things are not neatly placed in tanks to be picked out and shipped the next day.

Ken (Sealifeinc.net) usually gets the Mercs during crab season but rarely gets them at other times of the year (late December - late February). He just kind of shakes his head at me for my love of cephs and seahorses but has carried more of both since I have such a strong interest. Trapper came from Ken.

Sorry, I guess Dana is a he!

Yeah, he closed his ebay store recently. Not sure if it's for good, or because he's leaving for Russia next month...? Who knows.

I can nothing but good about Ken. Great prices, great animals, and great service!!!

Brock,

I think Dana closed the store because he started the website and wanted out from under the ever increasing eBay costs (Russia, are you yanking my chain? Dana is so laid back I would not imagine him going out of the country to work but ...). It was fun to tell Ken about the new site since your post gave me one upsmanship on him :wink:.

The Keys group is an interesting mixture of heavy politics, and semi-covert competition with varying degrees of conservation mixed in. It is impossible to have been a diver/fisherman there for very long and not have noticed the changes but what to do about the problem is a never ending battle. Ken recently (the day before I went down there) got permission to "plant" some of the staghorn frags he has been growing for the last 5 years on his LR farm. He recently went to a ceremony in Washington to receive an award for his conservation efforts in Florida and will be featured on NBC sometime soon (footage completed but date is not yet known).

Circle Pets here in Long Beach has a little octopus for sale. Poor little guy is stuck in a liter sized plastic container with a rock ontop. He cant hide, play, or really move around! $49.99. When asked the type of octopus, they replied "Indonesian"... I have no idea how old he is or how long he's been there...

Here are the details...

Circle Pet & Tropical Fish
1940 Ximeno Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90815
Phone: 562-597-0619
www.circlepet.com

Circle Pet is a good store though. I used to live in Long Beach and I bought all of my supplies there. In general, the staff are knowledgeable and care about the animals. Probably the octopus is in a small container so they don't have to catch it when someone wants to purchase it...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back