• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

I need advice to catch a bimac in San Diego

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I am glad they protected the area, but it is rather odd that killing them is fine, but collecting is not, no? They still take animals out of the pools there, and jam a hook through them to fish.

cthulhu77;117317 said:
I am glad they protected the area, but it is rather odd that killing them is fine, but collecting is not, no? They still take animals out of the pools there, and jam a hook through them to fish.
They are not supposed to be killing them either... Fishing is fine (for those species listed, but not collecting bait.

After only a small amount of pestering MarineBoy agreed to meet me at the tide pools North of San Diego and show me some of his octopus catching mojo. In about an hour he had caught two! Many thanks to MarineBoy for showing me how to find Bimacs! In a month my tank should be ready, and there will be some minus tides during the day. I'll use what MarineBoy showed my today to catch my Bimac then.

Here are some shots of the two we caught today:

First we caught a medium sized Bimac, then, just before we had to leave, we found a little guy. We let them both go.

Attachments

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
in case this helps the invisible pictures, after you add the pics with the paperclip icon, you have to pull down the list with the name of the pic you added to actually include it in the post... you can probably do this with "edit post" and not have to re-upload the pics, but I'm not sure about that.

edit: no, that doesn't appear to be the problem... hmmm.

edit2: looks like Tony needs to approve images posted this way, since they link to gallery posts rather than attachments. Check back soon!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Monty,
I think these pictures are actually links to photos he has sent to the gallery but have not been approved. PLEASE APPROVE THEM SOON :madsci:

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
cuttlegirl;117543 said:
I'm glad you got to go tidepooling. Thanks MarineBoy for sharing your talent (and time)!
Joe-Ceph;117535 said:
After only a small amount of pestering, MarineBoy agreed to meet me at the tide pools North of San Diego and show me some of his octopus catching mojo. In about an hour he had caught two! Many thanks to MarineBoy for showing me how to find Bimacs! In a month my tank should be ready, and there will be some minus tides during the day. I'll use what MarineBoy showed my today to catch my Bimac.

Here are some shots of the two we caught today (we let them both go after their photo sessions.

it really was no problem. I had just as much fun as you probably did Joe-Ceph even after all these years. and besides, it was a great excuse for getting out of Algebra II :mrgreen:

NOW I have the Wild Bimac pictures working

This was my first time posting pictures. I had indeed added links to Tonmo Gallery pictures that had not yet been approved, and I didn't notice that I could just "attach" them :oops:. I edited my original post and just attached them; I hope you enjoy them.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catifshconnoisseur

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak