• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Fluval Fx5?

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello

Anyone ever used a Fluval Fx5 Canister Filter? What sort of Octo tank would this thing Support any Hints ??

That's a very pricey filter. My tank uses bioballs... They were relatively cheap because they came free when i got the tank but i had to design my sump. I just think it's money better spent on other stuff to put into your tank like corals ect.

It can be used for both Fresh and salt water, I was only enquiring about it because it seems to be one of the largest Canisters on the market that may be capable of handling a Ceph tank? These canister filters (for me) are just too easy to operate, which is why I wanted to know if one could be used on my system?

The display tank is around 240Gals, but there will also be a Refugium (Vegetation) and Sump (Equipment) which will add to the total volume somewhere around the 1200 - 1400L all up.

i say go for it. if i had an extra $300 laying around to pick one up (plus the media) id grab one. I'v been eyeing it for awhile but keep finding something else to spend the money on.

Yeah I got a nice budget to work on, however I've heard so much mixed emotion towards differen't filter styles that it is now even more difficult then before to make the "optimum" choice. I've read 'down talk' about Wet/Dry's being Nitrate factories, I've read people 'back up' the Wet/Dry's saying there systems have never been better, it is the same with the Canister filters as well.

The problem is diciding between the two when your budget allows you either of them, (either of the BEST). The only reason I would go for the Canister filter is because I am soooooo familiar with them, I have not had as much experience with Wet/Dry's yet, the canister seems kind of small (but that is where the more Experienced come in...) too me for a system this large, I know that it states it can handle volumes up too 1,500L (the total volume of my system should fall below the 1,500L mark) and I know that Fluval is a very well trusted Manufacturer. But It still leaves me a bit edgy... nothing worse then buying the Wrong items when you CAN afford the rite ones.

well iv never used a canister filter so i cant "down talk" ir or play it up. i would suppose if you maintained it and kept up wth it it things would work out. what other type of filtration are you doing? just a skimmer?

There will be an adequate amount of Live Rock to support the amount of water circulating in the system (1 1/2Lbs. to 2Lbs. per gallon), a refugium which will hold my vegetations, Cleaner Critters and some of the Live Rock, the Sump will hold my Protein Skimmer and any other items needed.

if you have that much live rock and a skimmer alone i'm more than sure you can hold a ceph. Bioballs can make excessive nitrates if not properly maintaned. if you wash some out along with water changes it will be fine. It's all a matter of opinion though. You say you have the budget then go for it. I however do not. I just think this hobby can be made to be alot more affordable than people portray it.

I agree that this hobby is maintainable on a much lower budget and some people may believe that the requirements for a housing a ceph at home would be FAR to expensive to make it in anyway practical or affordable.

However I am going to go with what I had planned for initially (Ample Live Rock, Protein Skimmer, Sump(wet/dry) and Refugium) I was only asking about the Fluval Fx5 in a 'general text'.

I agree, as someone that has a large system of sw for the octos, and who also uses an FX5 on one of her discus tanks, the canister filter will cause you more problems than it's worth and will be excessively large to fill with carbon or chemical media, IMO. The FX5 ROCKS as a filter and I hate fluval with a passion so that's a big kudo, coming from me. Don't add wet dry filtration either. Let the water cascade over live rock rubble instead. You're just going to be adding nitrates on a system you can't exactly maintain many janitors on. Looking at a green fur scape would be a major bummer! Wet dry filtration is old technology. It works great for removing ammonia quickly, but so does a fluidized bed filter and I would also recommend against one of those on a system like this. They all have their place, but not on a system with live rock, IMO :wink:. Just my $.02, but as an extreme hobbyist, you'll be happiest if you plan ahead for some of the common issues people deal with a couple years in.

Barbie

despite all of our differences i still find it sweet that a ceph system can be accomplished in an array of ways. The simplest ceph system i've seen is a coralife skimmer, live rock, DSB and macro (which i am not fond of). Good luck with your setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back