Fluval Fx5?

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello

Anyone ever used a Fluval Fx5 Canister Filter? What sort of Octo tank would this thing Support any Hints ??

cuttlechris

Wonderpus
Registered
That's a very pricey filter. My tank uses bioballs... They were relatively cheap because they came free when i got the tank but i had to design my sump. I just think it's money better spent on other stuff to put into your tank like corals ect.

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
It can be used for both Fresh and salt water, I was only enquiring about it because it seems to be one of the largest Canisters on the market that may be capable of handling a Ceph tank? These canister filters (for me) are just too easy to operate, which is why I wanted to know if one could be used on my system?

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
The display tank is around 240Gals, but there will also be a Refugium (Vegetation) and Sump (Equipment) which will add to the total volume somewhere around the 1200 - 1400L all up.

Chef Reef

O. vulgaris
Registered
i say go for it. if i had an extra $300 laying around to pick one up (plus the media) id grab one. I'v been eyeing it for awhile but keep finding something else to spend the money on.

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Yeah I got a nice budget to work on, however I've heard so much mixed emotion towards differen't filter styles that it is now even more difficult then before to make the "optimum" choice. I've read 'down talk' about Wet/Dry's being Nitrate factories, I've read people 'back up' the Wet/Dry's saying there systems have never been better, it is the same with the Canister filters as well.

The problem is diciding between the two when your budget allows you either of them, (either of the BEST). The only reason I would go for the Canister filter is because I am soooooo familiar with them, I have not had as much experience with Wet/Dry's yet, the canister seems kind of small (but that is where the more Experienced come in...) too me for a system this large, I know that it states it can handle volumes up too 1,500L (the total volume of my system should fall below the 1,500L mark) and I know that Fluval is a very well trusted Manufacturer. But It still leaves me a bit edgy... nothing worse then buying the Wrong items when you CAN afford the rite ones.

Chef Reef

O. vulgaris
Registered
well iv never used a canister filter so i cant "down talk" ir or play it up. i would suppose if you maintained it and kept up wth it it things would work out. what other type of filtration are you doing? just a skimmer?

Latest Posts