• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up Bimac Tank- Filtration opinions?

JLeigh

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all,
I’m in the process of buying equipment and setting up a 60 gal tank w sump for a bimac. I’m planning on buying a good protein skimmer, media reactor with charcoal, and chiller - but I know current thoughts on reef tanks are to stay away from a wet/dry trickle or canister in favor of the micro sock and live rock in a refugium. Is anyone here using this type of reef setup? Any suggestions on a good filter setup? I’ve been reading up on the back threads and it seems like many here are ok with or even encourage older styles of filtration. Please weigh in! Thank you in advance!

I agree with DWhatley. Mechanichal filtration (filter sock), chemical filtration (Carbon/CupriSorb or the like) and biological filtration should be robust enough to keep your water quality in a good place. Will you have other things in the tank that may require more robust filtration? Otherwise you will probably be able to get away with the setup you described, without a trickle filter.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back