TONMOCON III

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Agree 100% with that Monty! I've missed a couple of opportunities to meet Tintenfisch. :sad:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
shipposhack;107523 said:
No where in the midwest? I doubt I will go unless it was in SLC (or, maybe Kansas City since I have family and friends there) but I'm sure there are other people from the midwest that would like something a little closer to home.

Shedd aquarium?

That would be cool. I doubt I would still be able to go though, but that might be nice for others as an option. I've never been there but I hear it's really cool.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Well ... I voted FL because I know I can get there BUT if we do this in 2009 maybe the money stars will align better. The thought of a GPO dive is totally exciting but the cost would likely be prohibitive since standard wetsuits designed for east cost waters just won't get it up there. Do we have a way to rank or do second and third choices? I have ALWAYS wanted to see the SHED (being a seahorse lover) so I would have to vote Chicago if FL is out.

Alternately, the FL keys would be way different than Sarasota even though it is the same state. It offers warm water diving (though not much of a chance of a ceph hunt) as well as snorkeling for those who are not certified, a possible look at some active restoration projects, a possible look at a coral nursery (where they culture live rock) and I might be able to help with info, a possible presentation and more if considered. Additionally, flying to Miami is often affordable (if flying is ever really affordble) and we might be able to arrange small groups for the drive south, reducing car expense. Just a thought ...

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
I voted Seattle. It seems repetitive to repeat past TONMOCONs so soon. Also, I know a few people up in Seattle that I can get into contact with when need be.

Greg

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
I'm not voting because I have no idea where I'll be in 2009, but I will certainly keep an eye on TONMOCON plans as there's a good chance I'll be stateside sometime that summer. However, the next CIAC meeting is also in 2009, in Spain. Not sure whether the dates have been set yet.

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yea i think the Florida keys would be a great idea, and if we go night diving we could probably find many o. briareus easily thanks to their greenish tint. Plus Miami wouldn't be too far away if anyone wants to have a one or two day trip to there.

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
what about San Diego? We have a pretty good aquarium down here that has a really neat tidepool exhibit with an adult Bimac in it as well as another tank with an adult GPO. I could also show everybody were I see all my octo's and such.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Hey, we only had time for a short off shore snorkeling excursion in the Northern Keys after TONMOCONII but I wore a wet skin even there!