• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setting up a 30 gallon

Mark

Cuttlefish
Registered
i am considering using my 30 gallon tank to keep an octo. First off wich species would be ok in a 30 gallon? I have 20lbs. of live rock and 25 lbs. of live sand some of the live rock apastia sp? anemones growning on them could this be a problem they are very small. also will a protein skimmer and a submersible filter along with a powerhead be enough filtration and water movement? i already have a 10" air stone in the tank as well. what type of lighting would be reccommended? Is there anything else i need?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Mark and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

You'll find many threads here under Ceph Care discussing setting up an octo tank. Be sure to click on the Ceph Care button above and read some of our articles - of most use would be Colin's Equipment List, my Checklist and, if you plan to keep O. bimaculoides, the Bimac Care Sheet.

We actually recommend a 50 gallon tank for a bimac. A thirty gallon tank would be great for a dwarf octo, but those are hard to come by, are often nocturnal and have a short life span.

Better get rid of those rock anemones - we're just discussing them in another thread. Injecting them with boiling water user a syringe does work.

What do you mean by a submersible filter? You're on the right track with the protein skimmer and powerhead, too. There will be enough water movement and your octo likes a lot of oxygen so would enjoy the bubbler.

You don't need bright light - maybe a 30 watt bulb.

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nancy

Mark

Cuttlefish
Registered
setting up a 30 gallon tank

I was thinking maybe a whisper submersible heater. If this is not a good idea would a small canister filter work? Also, is octopets a good source for octopus? What should i do to prevent them from getting caught in the power head impellers? how big will a bimac get and would it be ok to start one out in a 30 gallon and move him up to a 55gallon? How fast do they grow? I know these are a lot of questions.... I'm just trying to get everything i need to know...

Latest Forum Posts