• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setting up a 30 gallon

Mark

Cuttlefish
Registered
i am considering using my 30 gallon tank to keep an octo. First off wich species would be ok in a 30 gallon? I have 20lbs. of live rock and 25 lbs. of live sand some of the live rock apastia sp? anemones growning on them could this be a problem they are very small. also will a protein skimmer and a submersible filter along with a powerhead be enough filtration and water movement? i already have a 10" air stone in the tank as well. what type of lighting would be reccommended? Is there anything else i need?

Hi Mark and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

You'll find many threads here under Ceph Care discussing setting up an octo tank. Be sure to click on the Ceph Care button above and read some of our articles - of most use would be Colin's Equipment List, my Checklist and, if you plan to keep O. bimaculoides, the Bimac Care Sheet.

We actually recommend a 50 gallon tank for a bimac. A thirty gallon tank would be great for a dwarf octo, but those are hard to come by, are often nocturnal and have a short life span.

Better get rid of those rock anemones - we're just discussing them in another thread. Injecting them with boiling water user a syringe does work.

What do you mean by a submersible filter? You're on the right track with the protein skimmer and powerhead, too. There will be enough water movement and your octo likes a lot of oxygen so would enjoy the bubbler.

You don't need bright light - maybe a 30 watt bulb.

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nancy

setting up a 30 gallon tank

I was thinking maybe a whisper submersible heater. If this is not a good idea would a small canister filter work? Also, is octopets a good source for octopus? What should i do to prevent them from getting caught in the power head impellers? how big will a bimac get and would it be ok to start one out in a 30 gallon and move him up to a 55gallon? How fast do they grow? I know these are a lot of questions.... I'm just trying to get everything i need to know...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back