• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Re: Octopus briareus

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up a 75 or 90 gal tank for either Octopus briareus (apparently comonly known as the Carribean Reef Octopus), or Sepia officinalis. I believe I have a source for the cuttle, but I am not aware of a source for a captive bred O. briareus. I will most likely go with the octo as the 75 or 90 is quite small for the cuttle. Because the cost of a chiller is prohibitive, I have decide on briareus instead of a bimac.
Also, in an effort to keep cost low, I was wondering if anyone has the plans or knows of a link to such, for a good performing down-draft style skimmer appropriately sized for the preposed set-up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
We were just talking about this in another forum, but I thought I might repeat it here. It may be possible to lower your tank temperature so that you don't need a chiller for your bimac.

I lowered mine several degrees by keeping the air conditioning (and the furnace) set a couple of degrees lower, by having a fan blow on the sump, and by using the protein skimmer mostly at night, when the house was cooler.

Nancy

Re: Octopus briareus

Thanks for the tip Nancy. Corect me if I am wrong, but I believe the ideal temp for a bimac would be around 65F or so? If this is the case, I would need to keep the ambient temp in my home around 62F.?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
They tolerate a wider temp range than that. If you could get your water to 72 degrees or even 73, your bimac would be happy and you wouldn't have to freeze :smile: I found that the pumps in the sump did raise the temp a bit, but the fan on the sump helped a lot.

Nancy