• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Re: Octopus briareus

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up a 75 or 90 gal tank for either Octopus briareus (apparently comonly known as the Carribean Reef Octopus), or Sepia officinalis. I believe I have a source for the cuttle, but I am not aware of a source for a captive bred O. briareus. I will most likely go with the octo as the 75 or 90 is quite small for the cuttle. Because the cost of a chiller is prohibitive, I have decide on briareus instead of a bimac.
Also, in an effort to keep cost low, I was wondering if anyone has the plans or knows of a link to such, for a good performing down-draft style skimmer appropriately sized for the preposed set-up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:

We were just talking about this in another forum, but I thought I might repeat it here. It may be possible to lower your tank temperature so that you don't need a chiller for your bimac.

I lowered mine several degrees by keeping the air conditioning (and the furnace) set a couple of degrees lower, by having a fan blow on the sump, and by using the protein skimmer mostly at night, when the house was cooler.

Nancy

Re: Octopus briareus

Thanks for the tip Nancy. Corect me if I am wrong, but I believe the ideal temp for a bimac would be around 65F or so? If this is the case, I would need to keep the ambient temp in my home around 62F.?

They tolerate a wider temp range than that. If you could get your water to 72 degrees or even 73, your bimac would be happy and you wouldn't have to freeze :smile: I found that the pumps in the sump did raise the temp a bit, but the fan on the sump helped a lot.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back