Orange - O. briareus Teacher Kim's New Octopus!

So Orange passed away this afternoon. :frown: When I took her out and examined her I noticed that the back of her mantel was, I guess you would say split open down towards her arms. Seems like I'd read something about this being connected to egg laying?? Anyway, moving on to the next one now! Anyone know where I might find an octopus for sale right now?? LOL!! What can I say..... I'm addicted!

Oh yes, and you are sooooo right "D"!!! This is NOT a good time for me to try and hatch cuttlefish eggs!! Maybe one day when not so busy with kids!! So for now it will be another octopus! Let me know if you hear of any. I might check with a connection I have in southern california to see if they ever get any in and details. I felt bad for Orange because the water smelled so bad when she arrived! Am thinking that maybe trying someplace closer might be better????? Or maybe not!? LOL!!! Thanks for your help! :smile:

No, there should be no mantle split with eggs and I wish you had a photo of what you saw as it is very odd. Your description makes me think something was wrong with her and the initial photo gave a hint to the problem. I don't know if octopuses get egg bound but the symptoms might suggest something of that nature.

I should have taken a pic, but she was in such bad shape! It did look like she a slit across the back of her mantel down towards her arms. It was pretty long. I thought maybe that's how her eggs came out! LOL! Yes, I agree! Looking back, she never did come out much and she only lasted about 6 weeks. It appeared that she was eating, but who really knows because it's not like she was sitting out in front of me eating! I assumed she was eating because I'd see left overs, but I didn't see so much towards the end! She was still cool though!! :smile:

Ummm, when you say "slit" by chance do you mean that the mantle was not connected on the back side like it is on the side toward the eyes? The opening I am referring to would be from left to right across the mantle and not long ways. If so this is part of their biology and all octopuses are built this way :biggrin2:. One of the defining differences between an octopus and a squid is how the mantle is attached. Where the octopus mantle is attached externally in the front and not at the back, a squid's is only attached internally. It took me a couple of animals before I realized the back of the mantle was not attached so I should have pickup on this when you said "slit" but my Southern (or at least that is where I will place the blame) vision was long ways down the mantle :oops:

Yep!! And I just learned something new again!! I actually think this is part of the reason I'm having so much fun with keeping an octopus, I am learning new things about something I have always loved!! Since I've been keeping saltwater fish for like..... well, let's just say that many people on this site probably weren't born yet (LOL), it's almost boring! Keeping an octopus is new and exciting!! :smile:

Kim,
I was hunting for information on something else and ran across a post to an article that is the next best thing (maybe better) to a dissection. Check out the link in this post and scroll down to the photo just under the Dissecting title. The whole article is worth the read but you can see a good view of the underside of the mantle there.

Oh cool!! Thanks! I will definitely check it out, especially since disecting an octopus hasn't really been on my bucket list of things to do!! But then again... you never know!! :sagrin:

LOL!!!! As long as I don't have to do it myself I'm down!! Boy, when the kids were wanting to look at Ziggy, I had to do some acting!! She was the slimest thing I ever played with!! Haha! Am excited about Tonmocon!!! :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back