[Octopus]: Dax, O. briareus

Hands definitely won out. Was that his usual bed time or is he losing stamina? This is the first time i believe i have seen Dax with a hand. I didn't realise quite how small O. Briareus is. Perfect size! I saw a video with a bimac and it was also quite bitty. Again i was surprised. I just never imagined they were so wonderfully diminuative. I guess that is also a reason bimacs are so much in demand. I was wondering why they seem much more popular than briareus. I haven't yet gotten to see as many videos of them as briareus, thanks to you and Dax😘, but i find it hard to believe they could be more wonderful than briareus. Maybe it's just that Dax is the first octo i have made an acquaintance with. If Dax is a middleaged male, how much smaller are juveniles when they are ( i want to say adopted, but that sounds a bit crazy cat lady. I hate to say obtained or acquired, because that sounds like a pair of shoes or kitchen implement. Adopted? No. I would like to come up with a word that indicates that these are super intelligent, very special animals. I have never used words like that with my dogs or when i had horses. You know, it just dawned on me (duh!) that my perhaps pointless meanderings about octos 🙄 are not appropriate or desired for these forums. Please tell me if they are and i will stop. You won't hurt my feelings! Again, i really do appreciate your posts,pix and videos. They are so informative and welcomed. Even if i will not be able to live with my own ceph friend, i would like to learn all i can about them. Thanks to you and TONMO that is a reality.

Hands definitely won out. Was that his usual bed time or is he losing stamina? This is the first time i believe i have seen Dax with a hand. I didn't realise quite how small O. Briareus is. Perfect size! I saw a video with a bimac and it was also quite bitty. Again i was surprised. I just never imagined they were so wonderfully diminuative. I guess that is also a reason bimacs are so much in demand. I was wondering why they seem much more popular than briareus. I haven't yet gotten to see as many videos of them as briareus, thanks to you and Dax😘, but i find it hard to believe they could be more wonderful than briareus. Maybe it's just that Dax is the first octo i have made an acquaintance with. If Dax is a middleaged male, how much smaller are juveniles when they are ( i want to say adopted, but that sounds a bit crazy cat lady. I hate to say obtained or acquired, because that sounds like a pair of shoes or kitchen implement. Adopted? No. I would like to come up with a word that indicates that these are super intelligent, very special animals. I have never used words like that with my dogs or when i had horses. You know, it just dawned on me (duh!) that my perhaps pointless meanderings about octos 🙄 are not appropriate or desired for these forums. Please tell me if they are and i will stop. You won't hurt my feelings! Again, i really do appreciate your posts,pix and videos. They are so informative and welcomed. Even if i will not be able to live with my own ceph friend, i would like to learn all i can about them. Thanks to you and TONMO that is a reality.
I have the same problem with how to word my relationship with my octopuses! I don’t like the term “keeping” or “owning,” the same as my dogs. Frequently I say I “live with” or “care for” them- and truthfully they own me! 🤣. So I completely understand and share your confusion about the best way to express my relationship with my intelligent pets.

Part of the size problem with this tank is that it’s a bow front, and the curved glass can really distort your perception of size! My tank is 55 gallons, and I wouldn’t go for a species that gets larger than this. Dax is in senescence and won’t be getting any bigger at this point, but I have had bigger briareus in the past.

Check out the TONMO YouTube channel to see Kestra, who was smaller and Anya, who was bigger- both female briareus.

I have the same problem with how to word my relationship with my octopuses! I don’t like the term “keeping” or “owning,” the same as my dogs. Frequently I say I “live with” or “care for” them- and truthfully they own me! 🤣. So I completely understand and share your confusion about the best way to express my relationship with my intelligent pets.

Part of the size problem with this tank is that it’s a bow front, and the curved glass can really distort your perception of size! My tank is 55 gallons, and I wouldn’t go for a species that gets larger than this. Dax is in senescence and won’t be getting any bigger at this point, but I have had bigger briareus in the past.

Check out the TONMO YouTube channel to see Kestra, who was smaller and Anya, who was bigger- both female briareus.
I didn't think about TONMO having a YouTube channel. I went there and am so glad i did, thanks to you. I shall take my questions and blethering there, that way the TONMO site won't be so cluttered with my stuff. ( and everyone on TONMO rejoiced 😁 🎉 🎇 )

I didn't think about TONMO having a YouTube channel. I went there and am so glad i did, thanks to you. I shall take my questions and blethering there, that way the TONMO site won't be so cluttered with my stuff. ( and everyone on TONMO rejoiced 😁 🎉 🎇
Oh, no- you got the wrong impression! Keep your questions here- but watch the videos on YouTube if you want to quickly scroll through (or binge watch) lots of videos! I think the vids are easier to watch on that platform, but all the information is here on the website. Have fun surfing both!

BTW- I love your questions! After a while you forget how things that are “normal” to you are new to other people, and it rejuvenates my passion for this lifestyle!

Just gonna leave this right here... 🤣. This was made as a response to that terrible octopus “care manual.”

Attachments

• 1086624F-0551-44DE-90C0-469DE299564F.jpeg
    1086624F-0551-44DE-90C0-469DE299564F.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 70
It’s always heartbreaking, you just never get used to loosing any beloved pet. Even when you’re experienced, even when you’re relieved that senescence is over and your friend is no longer suffering, it’s hard when they die. Dax was a very gentle octopus- he liked to play but didn’t pull too hard or try to bite. He seemed to enjoy interacting with the family, always coming out in the evenings when we hanging out- we’re really going to miss this guy!

Attachments

• D68505CD-94A9-401C-A599-BC895AC3A57C.jpeg
    D68505CD-94A9-401C-A599-BC895AC3A57C.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 4FC07788-C97F-4026-A4AA-43DD5CA7F8D7.jpeg
    4FC07788-C97F-4026-A4AA-43DD5CA7F8D7.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 9CB99029-48D6-495E-A3C1-4B5425818BB8.jpeg
    9CB99029-48D6-495E-A3C1-4B5425818BB8.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 67
  • FA3C8C58-A0F7-46D8-B0C3-5309E9C0DD8A.jpeg
    FA3C8C58-A0F7-46D8-B0C3-5309E9C0DD8A.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 62
  • C8D52FC8-0503-4FDD-A34F-B90963EEF7BC.jpeg
    C8D52FC8-0503-4FDD-A34F-B90963EEF7BC.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 62
  • B2BC0464-C746-43B9-8AD6-54A52F7A5EDF.jpeg
    B2BC0464-C746-43B9-8AD6-54A52F7A5EDF.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 64
It’s always heartbreaking, you just never get used to loosing any beloved pet. Even when you’re experienced, even when you’re relieved that senescence is over and your friend is no longer suffering, it’s hard when they die. Dax was a very gentle octopus- he liked to play but didn’t pull too hard or try to bite. He seemed to enjoy interacting with the family, always coming out in the evenings when we hanging out- we’re really going to miss this guy!
I had a feeling that this was it when i saw your new post listed today. When i saw the first picture and how blank and empty his eyes were it was obvious. I am truly so sorry for his passing and the hole left in the hearts of his family. Even though i only knew Dax from your wonderful and frequent videos of him just being himself, he was such a good ambassador for how endlessly fascinating Octopuses are and it was easy to love him, even from a distance. I will miss your little buddy a lot, but it is a relief to me also that his suffering is over. Thank you for sharing him.

I had a feeling that this was it when i saw your new post listed today. When i saw the first picture and how blank and empty his eyes were it was obvious. I am truly so sorry for his passing and the hole left in the hearts of his family. Even though i only knew Dax from your wonderful and frequent videos of him just being himself, he was such a good ambassador for how endlessly fascinating Octopuses are and it was easy to love him, even from a distance. I will miss your little buddy a lot, but it is a relief to me also that his suffering is over. Thank you for sharing him.
Thank you so very much for all of your kind words! Being able to share the joy I get from my octopus friends makes the experience so much the better, and it means a lot that you enjoyed Dax along with us!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back