• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

FPVigo (winter);132286 said:
For those that may be interested in the EU

I've confirmed Hapalochlaena Spp availability in Madrid (Spain)

Contact details and map here

cheers :sink:

Do they have other species? If they only have blue-rings, I'd like to move this to "Exotics"... but I don't mean to discourage posting resources in Europe, which we get a lot more questions about than we have answers for.

Hi Monty

That is the LFS is where I founded Nut (Briareus). This is the first time I found a blue rings there.
They import a single ceph from time to time. But due the difficulty of octos availability in EU I think may be interesting to post here.

BTW I could get a picture of it:
main.php

thanks & kr

Forever27,
Tom will tell you they are joubini, however, they are more likely mercatoris. For years Ken called them joubini as well until I suggested they were otherwise and he got a difinitive answer by sending one to an expert (free with a mantis order :sagrin:) in hopes of positively iding it. The id came back mercatoris :biggrin2: and he has changed his listing when he has them.

However, there are joubini in the Caribbean. They are almost never caught for the pet trade, I think because not only are they nocturnal, they live in deeper water than the mercs (deeper water crab trap by-catch is possible but I don't think many of those are allowed to survive). I may have had one (post hatch) for a short time but she went into the LR and never came back out. If what I had was joubini (very likely) then there really is quite a difference, regardless of what the literature suggests.

dwhatley;132832 said:
Forever27,
Tom will tell you they are joubini, however, they are more likely mercatoris. For years Ken called them joubini as well until I suggested they were otherwise and he got a difinitive answer by sending one to an expert (free with a mantis order :sagrin:) in hopes of positively iding it. The id came back mercatoris :biggrin2: and he has changed his listing when he has them.

However, there are joubini in the Caribbean. They are almost never caught for the pet trade, I think because not only are they nocturnal, they live in deeper water than the mercs (deeper water crab trap by-catch is possible but I don't think many of those are allowed to survive). I may have had one (post hatch) for a short time but she went into the LR and never came back out. If what I had was joubini (very likely) then there really is quite a difference, regardless of what the literature suggests.

I figured that much, since mercs are more popular in the trade. However I wasn't sure because I knew they were both found there. Thanks for the clearing it up, I don't think I'd be ordering either, but my friend may be giving me his 29 Gallon BioCube, so I may keep a merc in it. Thanks for your help D.

forever27;132838 said:
I figured that much, since mercs are more popular in the trade. However I wasn't sure because I knew they were both found there. Thanks for the clearing it up, I don't think I'd be ordering either, but my friend may be giving me his 29 Gallon BioCube, so I may keep a merc in it. Thanks for your help D.

Nice friend! We could all use a friend like that :wink:.

bluespotocto;132831 said:
Does any one know if any one is selling acuelatus right now?

Don't know anything about "who," but if you want aculeatus look for something out of the Philipenes or adjacent seas- with mine the suppliers could not id them, but gave me that general area as their origination.

Anyone expecting babies soon?

I would really like a bimac, but if they are not available, a similar-sized species would be fine. I am having difficulty finding any octos for sale from reputable sources. I would prefer to pick one up personally in the Tulsa-Dallas areas, from a hobbyist, tho i expect that to be a long shot. Any advice or leads?

Im new here, , Im mostly into Nautalus, but my partner has in the shop for sale : pacific pearly shrimp eggs only, and S. Bandensis, S. Robertsii (both captive bred) You can email her (betty) right thru me. she loves oddballs and octopus and cuttles in particular

ok, Ive been reading on here a bit,
I feel awful ! , My partner and I are going to have to adjust our thoughts.
I dont want to be a party to this.

Im going to remove the nautalus , the mimick and the blue rings as well as the S.Zebra and M Pfiferi, from sale. I guess we didnt think back past where our supply came from. Im not sure what we will do with them, but we wont be selling them.
Im sorry....

Not to worry, my 6 nautalus are in a 650 Chilled oval about 4 ft deep, double wet drys, nitrate reactorand UV steriliser,I have had mine over a yr and they were bought from a wholesaler in Ca. Ill guess Ill just keep the ones we have in stock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back