• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

I just e-mailed LiveAquaria and they responded with the following-
Dear Bobby,

Thank you for your inquiry. The Octopi we carry are an assorted species. Due to the assortment, their individual appearance will differ. We have included a link for more information.

Octopus - Assorted: Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Department at 1-800-381-7179 or via email at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith
cmc

So, I guess they don't have a good idea and expect their customers not to have one either. Ha

Customer service doesn't seem to be in the same facility as where the animals are kept, as is the case with most of the online stores. I do wish they would list their octopuses in their "Divers Den" section like the cuttles they get but that's also another facility altogether.

I can't speak for their Caribbean species, but their Indo-Pacific species is usually Abdopus aculeatus. There has been an instance where someone got an O. luteus or similar species though.

If it's any consolation, they do recommend a 125 gallon as minimum tank size. And at least they aren't claiming it's something it's not.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Drs. Foster and Smith?s Live Aquaria. We apologize that the item you are inquiring about is currently unavailable on our website. The availability of specimens is dependent on what we have available in our aquatics center, and this depends on what we are able to harvest from the wild and which tank raised specimens are available at the time. Our holding facility does receive daily shipments, so the stock can change from day to day. We are unable to give you a specific date as to when we will have the specimen in stock. Please feel free to click the ?Email Me? link by the specimen you are interested in purchasing and we will send you an automated email as soon as it becomes available.

The information on our website regarding the Assorted Octopus is correct. They will arrive at an approximate size of 2"-5", this is size is approximate and may vary slightly.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.
Sincerely,

I had asked them if they are sure about the species they had identified and the size upon deliverance was correct.

My fave LFS has another octo that looks like Artemis(?). They seem to be in the middle of another run of octos for some reason, but they of course never know why. They claim that they can get me some more mercs...

sedna;132237 said:
My fave LFS has another octo that looks like Artemis(?). They seem to be in the middle of another run of octos for some reason, but they of course never know why. They claim that they can get me some more mercs...
:rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back