• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

There is a small octopus for sale at this store in New Hampshire. I havn't seen it, but I've talked with the Saltwater staff, and they say it comes from California, so there's a good chance it's a bimac (they say it is).

Sea World Pet Center
356 s. Broadway St
Salem, NH 03079
603-898-1441

Nancy

Please rescue poor little octo in SF

There is a small octopus at 6th Avenue Aquarium (a fish store in San Francisco) http://www.6thaveaquarium.net/

I think it's a Mercatoris or something similar. It looks awfully sad in a small critter keeper in a bigger tank. It's all balled up with nowhere to hide from the bright lights.

I wish I could rescue him but I don't have a place for him.

I called Seaworld to check on Nancy's find. I talked with a clerk who may have been new because he had to ask someone else to answer most of my questions (strangely enough though he did know the octo was from the Pacific Ocean) and found that this octopus was sold, they get them in with some regularity and they don't ship.

I checked back on the small Merc at 6th Avenue Aquarium (in San Francisco) http://www.6thaveaquarium.net/
and I don't think it's doing too well. It's got some scuffs on it's eyes and looks really slimey. It's balled up even smaller in one of the corners of the critter keeper. I don't think it has much longer to live. :frown:

The store just got in a Chambered Nautilus. It's seems to be smaller than the ones I saw at the Academy of Sciences. This guy is about the diameter of a cd or less. He seems to be in good health.

I wish I could tell you... all I know is that it was sharing a large three level tank where the water cascades to the lower ones and is pumped back to the top. He's in the top tank with a bunch of hard coral. The middle tank has some soft coral and some fish. The bottom tank has some anemones and other soft coral frags.

The whole set up is very brightly lit.

DinoIgnacio;130461 said:
I checked back on the small Merc at 6th Avenue Aquarium (in San Francisco) http://www.6thaveaquarium.net/
and I don't think it's doing too well. It's got some scuffs on it's eyes and looks really slimey. It's balled up even smaller in one of the corners of the critter keeper. I don't think it has much longer to live. :frown:

The store just got in a Chambered Nautilus. It's seems to be smaller than the ones I saw at the Academy of Sciences. This guy is about the diameter of a cd or less. He seems to be in good health.

I, and many others, avoid that shop because they treat their animals very poorly and many of them die soon after purchase.

Thales;130490 said:
I, and many others, avoid that shop because they treat their animals very poorly and many of them die soon after purchase.

Yes, I have heard that they do their Sunday fish sales because they know that most of their livestock are cyanide bombed and won't live long.

I've only visited to check on the octopus they have there... (a friend told me about him about a month ago) I normally avoid this shop too.

The Naples Fish Store in SW Florida has a supplier they visit every Monday in Miami. You might be able to contact them and find out because the supplier gets octopuses fairly frequently.

Barbados Invertebrates!

I will be able to provide octopi from Barbados later this month.

Expect three species:

"Common Octopus"
Octopus vulgaris

"Caribbean Reef Octopus"
Octopus briareus

"Pygmy Octopus"
Octopus joubini

Inquire for more info and pricing by emailing to [email protected] or call 941-488-4585 10a-11pm EST

Crabs, eels, snails and other inverts also available. Thanks.

Octopus mercatoris at Dallas North Aquarium. Labeled "Common Octopus". $49, looks mature. It's in a container with holes punched in it, big enough to easily stick a #2 pencil through. On the bright side it has a large chunk of rubble and lots of crushed coral to hide amongst.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back