• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

So, these occys have only one paper on them from around 1976. That paper says that they have a 4-7 day hatching period, but I have been getting hatchlings through day 16. Tonight, I fed the female a freshly dead 'shore' shrimp with tweezers (another difference from the '76 paper - the female is not supposed to feed through brooding), and she came mostly out of her barnacle den. While grabbing the tweezers, the den tipped over, and as she ate, she moved in such a way as to let me see inside of the den. Inside were at least 6 (maybe 9)mature eggs. You can clearly see the soon to hatch occy's inside the eggs. Super spiff!

DSC_9704_mom_with_eggs.jpg

DSC_9698_momma_eggs_closeup.jpg

It will be interesting now to see if she survives to mate again. Too bad you can't tell if your attempt at breeding her had any effect (i.e. are some of the hatchlings from what appeared to be a rejected mating). Any chance of testing?

I jumped the gun when I said she ejected the sperm packet...many were pumped in, one was ejected on tape.

If all the eggs would hatch, I would mate her again. I was planning to this weekend, but I guess not!

One more yesterday, and three more so far today.

Very different hatching period than the reported 4-7 day hatching period. :biggrin2:

Total of 18 at this point. The female came completely out of her den last night, and there are still eggs in there. Hopefully, I will have time for pics soon.

Hey Kat! Still busy? :biggrin2:

Currently I want to establish a breeding colony at my house and another at Roy's lab. Since these guys haven't been studied so much, it seems the first order of business is science, and the second order of business will be raising them for people who want them. I expect that if all goes well, we'll try to spread them around somehow.

There are no eggs left, and yesterday the female was out of her den. 23 total hatchlings. I am going to try to mate her with the other male this week for some quasi genetic diversity. Hopefully, Jon will come through and send some of his babies out or I can find some more broodstock. Without that, it seems like the breeding will be a downhill slide.

So far the female seem wary of me. All the adults are being 'hand' fed from long tweezers. In the evening the males will pop out and look at me, and they seem to know when they are going to be fed - as soon as the tweezers hit the water they reach for them. The female eats the same way as the males, except she doesn't/hasn't popped out of her den.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back