• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New LED Aquarium Lighting

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
I am doing research with LED lighting for Aquarium use. I am new to aquariums and cephalopods but am loving it. I am also an electrical engineer and it occured to me to try to build an LED lighting arrangement for my Bimac tank. As I understand it Octos have no light requirement so I figured that I had room to play. I am posting a picture of my aquarium lighted with White LED's that consume less than 10 watts. I wanted to reduce electric use and reduce heat introduced into the system and to increase the useful lifetime of aquarium lighting. Would anyone be interested in having an LED lighting system?

Attachments

• conv_302250.jpg
    conv_302250.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 66

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi pilotinho,

First of all, octos need low light (I used a 30W fluorescent) and you'll need this light to keep your coralline algae growing and maybe some other things in your tank.

It's interesting what you're doing with LEDs. LEDs are being sold as moonlights - I have blue LEDs built into my lighting system that serve as moonlights. You might want instead red LEDs so that you could see a noctural octo but he couldn't see the light.

I think we need to know how LEDs compare to other aquarium lights - the low temperature is attractive. I have a 10,000K lamp, for instance. How do LEDs compare with that?

Nancy

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Cool!
There are several people working on this from time to time. If you do a search on some of the reefing sites, you'll see whats been done so you don't have to reinvent the wheel - unless of course you have already. In that case I slink away....

Other than that, I would totally be interested in a LED system for my cephs. Cost would be the first factor, and total output would be the second. :biggrin2:

If it were my tank I would include some blue lights in with all of your white ones to help bring out the colors in the tank and you octo.
One problem you may come up with is some types of algea and bacteria (red slime) will grow in special sectrums of light.
I wouldn't worrie about it too much but if you start haveing trouble with the algea then you may want to change the lights.
Keep us informed
Chip

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I think it would be a great idea. Keep us posted on how it works out for you, i.e., algae groth and blooms, spectrum etc...

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
Response to some questions

The spectral response of White LED's are typically heavy in the blue with a red spike and weak in the green. The blue helps grow coral which octo owners don't really care about but might be good for expanding the idea. I have a Bimac and they are intertidal guys who , if they get stuck in a tide pool, can handle full sunlight. As for reef octos they tend to be nocturnal. My problem has been getting enough together to make even lighting. I think I have done this now but it is not suitable for reef tanks. I calculated the light output of 100 white LED's to be about 1100 Lumens. For a point of comparison my 65 watt actinics produce about 6000 I think. My setup is about equivalent to Nancy's 35 watt flurescent I will check out what people have done on the reef sites. Thanks for the heads up.

~Paul

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
One More thing

I was really excited about the idea because of the ability to simulate ocean life more accurately. You can computer control the lights to dim gradually. You can have blue LED's come on at night, and when the sun would be rising or setting you can kick in more red. The owners could balance red green and blue to suit their tastes with varying levels of intensity. There is a lot of fun work to do in this field I think.

~Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak