• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for a friend - octopus bimaculoides

Angel_fish

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I am looking to keep Octopus bimaculoides. I don't know if you are interested in my aquarist background, but I included it since it seems relevant. I have been in the aquarium hobby since I was four years old. And I have worked with aquatic creatures for over ten years. Currently, I am keeping 7 saltwater tanks and 3 freshwater ones. I also have experience keeping Octopus joubini (pic attached) and Octopus vulgaris. This is my 55-gallon acrylic aquarium that was set up eight years ago. In August, I made some changes to prevent old tank syndrome. The water test results are finally staying consistent at:
Salinity - 1.026
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.2
Calcium - 420
Copper - 0
Temperature - steady 68 degrees with chiller. Without a chiller, it fluctuates from 72 to 77 degrees throughout the day and night.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg

Tubes are glued, so octopus can't unscrew them to get out. That happened to me once, and I'm not taking any chances this time, lol. The protein skimmer has clamps to secure tubes and sponges with mesh to secure the intake section. The lid isn't on the pic, but it is made of acrylic. I am trying to get a friend to add some latches to it so I don't have to weigh it down.

Creatures in that tank are astrea snails x8, nassarius snail x5, rock flower anemone x2 (trying to get them out), and a feather duster. My lighting maroon clown is currently there to keep the tank cycled but will be removed when I get the octopus. I also have two other (soon-to-be uninhabited) tanks that an octopus could go in if this one doesn't work. One is 40g, but it has some corals in it atm, and the other is 50g, but it is still cycling. Let me know if you need more information as I know I have impaired communication skills and often don't know how to express what I ought to through writing.

Ph will be one other thing to keep a good eye on.
How long did you have the bigger octopus and how big did it get?

Your temperature range without a chiller is more on the high end of a bimacs temperature range. but It is still in their acceptable range. The only down side is a shortened life cycle.

Ph will be one other thing to keep a good eye on.
How long did you have the bigger octopus and how big did it get?

If I remember correctly, Vulgaris was around 3 feet and growing when we gave him up to a local aquarium. I don't recall exactly how long we had him as it was a long time ago, but I am pretty sure it was close to a year. What is your recommended ph?

Your temperature range without a chiller is more on the high end of a bimacs temperature range. but It is still in their acceptable range. The only down side is a shortened life cycle.
Unacceptable, I want it to live a long and comfy life! I'll turn on the chiller as soon as I can get the clown and anemones out. Thank you for the advice!

According to a pdf document about the laboratory culture of octopuses. It states that ph was maintained between 7.7 and 8.2. So keep it in that range.

Hello, sorry I haven't been on in a while. I have been extremely busy with my school finals. So I ended up getting 2 octopuses from Tomh. One small and one medium size. Sadly, the medium one passed away a couple of days after I got him. When he arrived, he had inked in his bag, so I let him rest and thought he was going to recover, but he never did. It was heartbreaking watching him wither away. I don't know why but I grew extremely attached to them in the short time I have known them. The little guy, on the other hand, is doing great! He eats like a champ and often comes up to greet me. Here he is in mid hunt.
IMG_1998.PNG
IMG_1999.jpg

Teaching him to open jars in this one.

even 68 seems a little high to me. The natural monthly average water temperature in San Diego ranges between 68 (August) to 57 (February). It will be happy and comfortable at 68, but it will be life in the fast lane, and will probably live 12-18 months. The good news is that it will be more active. I kept one bimac at 57 degrees, (so I could keep Corynactis Californica) and it lived about 30 months, but was noticeably less active.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back