• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Filtration Opinions

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello all and ty for all the prior info that I have gotten. Time to pick your brains again and in need of opinions.. I am preparing for an octo tank. I have my 60 gal long set up with 60lbs live rock, live sand and shells, clean crew of snails, crabs, clams, and a sand star... I have a fluval 304 rated for 70 gal @260 gal flow rate an hour. I was trying to modify a protien skimmer but didnt really like how that is working out so it is pulled. My question is this.. I have read alot of different views on the use of the protien skimmer or a wet/dry filter or a sump. I live in an apartment so space is a bit limited and not even the 304 will fit under the tank as well as looking to stay as inexpensive as possible. If there are other options I am all for them as well.

Thanks,

Hey, Happy Labor Day Weekend Everyone!! :tongue:

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Update: the motor on my fluval has cut out!! So, a quick visit to the store and now I am using a Rena FilStar external canister xp3 rated for up to 175 gal @ 350 gal flow rate per hour. Soooo, same question as previous just different canister filter...

mosthated

GPO
Registered
IMO a skimmer is a must on a saltwater system. I mean its not, but it will take a huge chuck of bioload off your system. I would try to get it working, any skimming is better then none. or get a diff one.
I have a 75gall, running now, its only filtration is a 30gal refuge, a skimmer, liverock, and a filter sock, which gets washed weekly..
the main take has about 4" of sand and the fuge about 8" in them. water is fine, i dont run carbon or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak