• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Fiddler Crabs for young abdopus aculeatus?

My LFS has some smaller fiddler crabs and I would like to purchase a few to feed to my aculeatus. Is there any danger in doing this? The fiddler crabs I saw were females and lacked the large claw. Any input?

How large is the octopus? Fiddlers are often fed to octos. Its what I used to feed mine all the time. If you are worried about the pinchers, you can remove them before throwing it in.

The head of the octo is approximately 1 1/2" - 2" long. The fiddler crabs I would be feeding to him are a little larger than a quarter. What do you think, should I remove the claws?

91lxstang

GPO
Registered
ive never had a problem with the pinchers before..... they would try to pinch him and he would just break them apart within seconds so it never bothered him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak