Dwarf Octopus Tank

Owen

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Another option is to use stainless steel bolts. This worked great for me. That lid is on the filter compartment. All access to the filter compartment was blocked with plastic needle point mesh. IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I just realized this is a dwarf tank so a bit of weight should be fine. The biggest concern will be any openings not covered by the lid. One way to help minimize escape issues would be to lower the water level to between 1.5" and 2" from the top (if you can, this is not always viable).

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
I just realized this is a dwarf tank so a bit of weight should be fine. The biggest concern will be any openings not covered by the lid. One way to help minimize escape issues would be to lower the water level to between 1.5" and 2" from the top (if you can, this is not always viable).
That’s what I was thinking, an octopus that doesn’t get too big shouldn’t be able to lift a decently sized lid. Anyway, I’m still not going to underestimate it.
The only real holes I can see are around the filter cutout, and even those aren’t very big. I’ll just have to go back and glue a piece of mesh material around it.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Be sure you use aquarium safe sponge (ie NOT kitchen sponges). There are a number of options made for baffles and weirs that work well. For places where water needs to flow I have used HVAC open weave filter material (but not sure where I found it) that is made of plastic.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
So today I bought an octopus, not sure if it was a good idea or not. Went to my LFS tonight to look and they had another tiny Pacific Brown. They told me this is the last one they’ll have for a while, so I decided to get it.
Here are some pics, maybe someone can help me ID it. He’s about the size of a quarter right now.
500A6B1F-4380-4694-AF82-C7A168E32BAC.jpeg
C770EE07-FB3B-493F-B6F0-8F9C5EAECF2D.jpeg
13172F41-31C7-4046-8DBB-0764ED34FB78.jpeg

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Pictures can be deceiving but my first impression from the arm length and thickness compared to the mantle is that this is a dwarf species.

Latest Posts