Dwarf Octopus Tank

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
I wouldn't mind having a female that lays eggs for me at all. Thanks for the link, but I don't think I'll be able to choose which one I want if I will be getting one online. I'll have too see what's available near me.
I'll have to update this with any further questions I have or if I make any more progress in the process of setting up the tank. Thanks for all the advice.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks for the link, the shipping seems a little weird though and I don't know if iw ant to drive all the way to my closest airport to pick up an octopus.

I went through with the octopus tank today, set up the 20 long with 15-20 lbs of live rock and a HOB filter as well as heater and a small circulation pump (Rio 90)
I went to the LFS today to check out the octopus they had and it was labeled as a Pcific Brown octopus, which is super vague. But I chatted with the owner for a long time about it and he said that he's had people buy the exact same ones as the one they had and they haven't gotten too big. So I'm wondering what it could be. They regularly get some in he said and can always get one if I request one. And it was seriously only $29.99
I couldn't get a very good look at it, as he was in a hamster ball which was in a stocking to keep it at the top of the tank. I could tell he was brown and about the size of a quarter.
They also said they got mimics in every so often, but I'm not willing to support that if there's a unknown population in the wild. That's what I recall about reading about them. Unless it's changed, I'm keeping my hands off those.
I started the cycle today with some dead shrimp in a media bag, and will be testing water the next couple weeks. I'll probably throw in a few chromis just to keep it cycled until the tank is established enough to keep a octopus.
Can I keep macro algae in this tank? I don't see why not, just haven't seen it in a lot of other octo tanks. Just was thinking some calurpa.
Anyways, lets get KRAKEN (crackin:wink:)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Macro Algaes are fine but need more light than most octopuses will tolerate so you will not likely see one out while the lights are on. You can experiment with more lighting during the hour your are not home and less when you hope to see the octo.

Pacific brown, as you acknowledge, says nothing about the animal but is a common term used by importers, suggesting this is an animal from the Philippines.

20 gallons is too small for anything but a dwarf. However, you may keep a pair in a 20 gallon tank. I am not sure where you determined that the Salty Bottom Reef Company (linked above) would only ship to an airport. They do offer overnight (required for an octopus) via UPS (and FedEx if you request it). However, they do not guarantee live arrival. They are in FL so the animal will be local. I have never ordered from them so I can't offer an experience.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Merry Christmas 2017 Everyone!

A little update, the cycle is underway and I haven't tested the levels yet because I know ammonia will be very high, but in the next week or so I'll test for nitrites and ammonia too see where it's at.
Next time I'm at the LFS I'll see if I can't get some established SW filter media to make this cycle go very quickly.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
Tested for Nitrites and ammonia this morning, ammonia was pretty low but nitrites were off the charts. I took the dead shrimp out because it smelled so horrible. I'm adding fish food to the tank now to provide the ammonia.

Nils Laicher

Blue Ring
Registered
I will just be keeping a log here of all my levels in the tank every couple of days because it will be good to look back on and will be available to me. Not anything that anyone has to reply to.
Nitrates - 40 ppm
Nitrites - 5.0 ppm
Ammonia - 0-.50 ppm