• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

thinking bout geting an octopus...newbie Q's

gohan

Hatchling
Registered
i have a 90 gallon tank and 2 filter/pumps that can handle 150 gallons each... how frequently would i need to change the water? since it is a fairly large tank, i'm thinking 25% every 3 weeks should do it.

i've heard that it is nearly impossible to tell between a venomous octopus and a non-venomous one... is that true?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Gohan,

That's a nice big tank! You don't say what kind of filtration you're using, but most people with octopuses use a protein skimmer in addition to other sorts of filtration.

There are various theories on water changes. The most common seems to be 10% every week or 20-25% every couple of weeks.

Your question about poisonous ocotopuses: All octopuses have venom, because that's the way they kill their prey. The ones sold as pets are not a problem, except for one (Blue Ringed Octopus) that is sold very rarely. Please look at a reply I did for a mail bag enquiry on September 16,2002 (http://www.tonmo.com/letters.php) for more information on this subject.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Probably better go for something like Octopus bimaculoides which is diurnal and gets to about 12cm mantle and 35cm arms, much better all round :smile:

C

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hester

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak