• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

thinking bout geting an octopus...newbie Q's

gohan

Hatchling
Registered
i have a 90 gallon tank and 2 filter/pumps that can handle 150 gallons each... how frequently would i need to change the water? since it is a fairly large tank, i'm thinking 25% every 3 weeks should do it.

i've heard that it is nearly impossible to tell between a venomous octopus and a non-venomous one... is that true?

Hi Gohan,

That's a nice big tank! You don't say what kind of filtration you're using, but most people with octopuses use a protein skimmer in addition to other sorts of filtration.

There are various theories on water changes. The most common seems to be 10% every week or 20-25% every couple of weeks.

Your question about poisonous ocotopuses: All octopuses have venom, because that's the way they kill their prey. The ones sold as pets are not a problem, except for one (Blue Ringed Octopus) that is sold very rarely. Please look at a reply I did for a mail bag enquiry on September 16,2002 (http://www.tonmo.com/letters.php) for more information on this subject.

Nancy

Probably better go for something like Octopus bimaculoides which is diurnal and gets to about 12cm mantle and 35cm arms, much better all round :smile:

C

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back