• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

salinity for new tank

Fishy1

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello there! :mrgreen:

My tank is octo ready except the salinity. If I raise it over .024 my starfish lose part of their legs. Does it really have to be that high??

Thanks in advance! :snorkel:
Fishy1 :boat:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Sg of 1.024 would probably be OK - however, make sure you have a way to measure very accurately, such as a refractometer. Maybe it's higher than you think.

Nancy

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yeah check your salinity with a reliable device - they are often faulty. Your starfish shouldnt be loosing legs at 1.026 salinity, that is normal seawater strength. (unless its an estuary starfish or something?)

I agree with Nancy, it sounds like you are getting a reading that is lower than it acutally is. So try to get your Lfs to test the water or use a refractometer, so you can be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kungtao

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak