• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

salinity for new tank

Fishy1

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello there! :mrgreen:

My tank is octo ready except the salinity. If I raise it over .024 my starfish lose part of their legs. Does it really have to be that high??

Thanks in advance! :snorkel:
Fishy1 :boat:

Sg of 1.024 would probably be OK - however, make sure you have a way to measure very accurately, such as a refractometer. Maybe it's higher than you think.

Nancy

Yeah check your salinity with a reliable device - they are often faulty. Your starfish shouldnt be loosing legs at 1.026 salinity, that is normal seawater strength. (unless its an estuary starfish or something?)

I agree with Nancy, it sounds like you are getting a reading that is lower than it acutally is. So try to get your Lfs to test the water or use a refractometer, so you can be sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back