• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

red slime algae

Bepe

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have a huge outbreak of red slime algae in my 50 gal tank with a baby (one month old) bimac. The tank is plumbed into a 90 gal reef and 30 gal sump. The reef tank does not have any red algae, which I think means that the cause for the problem in the octo tank is the lack of herbivores.

What herbivores can I put in with this small bimac? I've heard turbo snails and yellow tangs eat this algae. Will the tang bother the bimac? And will a bimac attack a snail that is bigger than it (for the moment anyway)

Any thoughts welcome.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I would manually remove as much as you can. You might fill a large bowl with saltwalter and remove rocks with the red algae and use a toothbrush to scrub it off, then rinse the rock and replace. (I've tried this method and it works.)

Are you using a protein skimmer and also carbon?

You may have too much dissoved organic matter in your water.

Try turban snails - they are supposed to eat it. If you get large ones your little bimac probably won't attack them for a while. Avoid any fish because they could bother a small octopus.

Nancy