Poe Poe - O. hummelincki

Lmecher;169848 said:
Yes, they all have the ability, it is not a relaxed or contented look. As it gets used to it's new surroundings hopefully it will show less.

I know that those body patterns are induced by various stresses, but I don't think I'd want my animals to show less of them. I mean yes it means that they are totally relaxed, but not all cryptic(spelling?) behavior is bad for them.

skywindsurfer;169867 said:
I know that those body patterns are induced by various , but I don't think I'd want my animals to show less of them. I mean yes it means that they are totally relaxed, but not all cryptic(spelling?) behavior is bad for them.

I prefer my animals be relaxed and comforatble in their home.(I said hopefully it will display this texture less not none) I try my best to remove any thing that stresses them such as other pesty or potentially harmful creatures. A relaxed animal will surely make a happier more interactive pet. I have no idea what you mean by cryptic bahavior. :confused:

I understood what skywindsurfer was referring to but before opening my keyboard :biggrin2: I decided to look up crypsis (for both definition and spelling and was surprised to learn that it did not mean quite what I thought (that being the skin "fingers" that octopuses can make to look like algae covered rock). As it turns out, it is much more generic :biggrin2: and applies to any animal that has a biologic camo ability (including zebra stripes). Another term I see used to mean the same thing is cirri but that gets confused with clouds :roll: and cirrate octopuses (having nothing to do with raised skin protrusions). The best term is likely papillae, which I can neither spell nor pronounce :hmm:, but the definition suggests a growth rather than a changable structure.

Little Poe Poe was up early this morning, before the lights came on. She has been unsuccessfully hunting the feeder shrimp from Tom for hours. She has followed them from one end of the tank to the other. She is stalking it right now...too slow. She has been showing an impressive number of colors, patterns and textures as she moves from the glass to the rocks and sand. I am begining to fee sorry for her witnessing miss after miss. She has pulled several snails from the glass but after a quick feel, she drops them.
I tried to feed her a thawed piece of shrimp, she held it for a moment then dropped it.

The one I can say about Poe is that she is persistant, she finally got that darn shrimp. She hunted it all day. I was so happy that it happened when I was there. She was on the other side of the tank, (earlier she followed my hand on the glass) I touched the glass and she moved towards me. As she got close her nemesis, the shrimp, swam into the same corrner. She dropped down on top of it, the rest is history. :band:

photos~
DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1836.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg

I would have guessed the things sticking out from the rock were skinny cucumbers and still can't see them as octo arms.

Did Poe Poe :roll: eat the urchin? I have only kept pencils with them. I don't think they bother with any of the urchins though but the new carcass and dropped arms made me wonder.

I am glad to know they are not really wierd octo arms :biggrin2:. Now that you mention it, this would be a classic post for an April 1 photo of octo poop :lol:

Poe was out on the glass when I went to bed last night and was out on the glass this morning. I checked the camera and saw she spent the entire night on the glass. She moved about quite a bit and finally settled around 4 am in the upper right corner, where she still is. I am feeling uneasy. I think I will get her a crab today from my LFS. I cannot put my finger on anything that could possibly be bothering her. We do have a camera on her tank, it has night vision. I has red lights but they are not very bright and when aimed at a target it is undetectable, you can only see them when looking directly at the camera itself. Could this be irritating her. I have no nightlight and all lights were off and no noise or vibrations other than what we usually get from the pumps and skimmer.

Video~
Note the amazing camouflage as she moves from rock to rock. When she moves to the wall she displays the green of the coralline algae. In free swim she displays this dark with bright yellow/orange on her arm tips. Is this a characteristic of O. hummelincki?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back