Poe Poe - O. hummelincki

Awwwwww, so sorry, Linda. Amazing how attached we get to what others consider "strange" pets.

I'm confused about something..... were there eggs/hatchlings? On February 10th or 11th you said: Poe was out of her den this evening. I just got a quick glimpse of her as I entered the kitchen. I was excited and fed her shrimp. She grabbed it right away. I cannot see into her den so have no idea if she has eggs. and yesterday you mentioned she died after the eggs hatched. Is the gestation/incubation that short?
Sue

Odd how they are not at all slimy in life but leave goo on anything they touch when they die. O.briareus is the worst for this I think and they seem to have a second "skin" that has the green speckles that floats loosely around the normal skin. This makes them exceptionally hard to handle after they die but I found it interesting as I have never seen any mention of an outer skin layer.

SueAndHerZoo;173657 said:
Awwwwww, so sorry, Linda. Amazing how attached we get to what others consider "strange" pets.

I'm confused about something..... were there eggs/hatchlings? On February 10th or 11th you said: Poe was out of her den this evening. I just got a quick glimpse of her as I entered the kitchen. I was excited and fed her shrimp. She grabbed it right away. I cannot see into her den so have no idea if she has eggs. and yesterday you mentioned she died after the eggs hatched. Is the gestation/incubation that short?
Sue

D will correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression small egged octopuses have a shorter incubation period. I don't know when the eggs were laid, only when they hatched. She must have had eggs at that point when I posted.
Did you see the thread on her hatchings?

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?23236-Poe-Poe-quot-s-babies-O.-hummelincki

DWhatley;173677 said:
Odd how they are not at all slimy in life but leave goo on anything they touch when they die. O.briareus is the worst for this I think and they seem to have a second "skin" that has the green speckles that floats loosely around the normal skin. This makes them exceptionally hard to handle after they die but I found it interesting as I have never seen any mention of an outer skin layer.

Yes, you are correct about O. briareus. I think none were a slimy and difficult to handle as Ollie. It is incredible how quickly this happens after death. Poe was :yuck:. She went during the night.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back