[Octopus]: New Bimac: Octavia

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Day 4:

I woke up this morning and sweet girl was still in her den. It appears there is an empty turbo snail shell and an empty hermit crab shell as well in there with her. She still has not emerged. I sat beside the tank and drank a few cups of coffee when I woke up. It was pretty neat how she watched every little thing that I did.

Around lunch time I came and sat next to the tank again to eat. I put my finger on the glass and moved it side to side and she actually put her arm out on the glass like she wanted to touch me!!! I sat very still and then a minuet or two later she came out of her den and touched the glass again for a moment and then retreated back to her den. The fiddler crab I put in last night before bed I noticed was in pieces in her den. She defiantly has a good appetite! I started looking around the tank and noticed a half eaten shrimp on the other side of the tank so I scooped that out and found a few pieces of shrimp shell and snagged those up too. To be on the safe side since I am assuming the half-eaten shrimp was left on the first day (that’s the only time I have witnessed her on that side of the tank) I went ahead and did my weekly water exchange vs doing it tomorrow. That was likely the last time I’ll have an easy water change on that tank and honestly I’m not even mad about that😂

After I finished her tank I moved to my other tank (reef tank in the making) to clean and when I was done I went to sit next to her again. That little booger grabbed and ate the last live shrimp while I was messing with the other tank! I keep missing the all the action- dang it!! I’m thankful she got that one though- I doubt I will feed anymore bait shrimp. Those things were creepy! I’m still shocked at how much she’s eating!

She has stayed in her den all afternoon- likely digesting her huge lunch! I am crossing my fingers our first interaction is a good sign and that she will see soon I’m her buddy!

After dinner my husband and I were sitting on the couch watching TV. I saw something out of the corner of my eye and looked- she had emerged and threw a half-eaten shrimp a few inches outside her den! I couldn’t help but laugh and compliment her house keeping skills. I grabbed the net and removed the debris. No sooner did I sit back down did she do it again with the fiddler crab remains and after that was removed once more with the snail and hermit shells. I sat down next to the tank and we played through the glass for a minuet before she retracted her arms and sat watching me. With her having only been with us four days I’m hoping this a good sign that we will have a strong bond!

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
My sister has been obsessed with cephalopods since she was in high school so I have tried to include her in this process as much as possible. She took the day off of work to come over for the delivery/acclimation process and was able to snag this video right after she came out of the acclimation bucket. It’s a little shaky since my sister was so excited but I thought it was pretty awesome to get something like this on camera!

Attachments

• IMG_9771.MOV
    55.1 MB

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Great catch (both your sister and Octavia)! I have to chuckle at your distaste of the bait shrimp. We transported some to GA on one of our FL trips and my granddaughter was heart broken when she learned they were food and not just tank mates for the octo. She definitely wants at least one of the more decorative kind for her first saltwater set up.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Great catch (both your sister and Octavia)! I have to chuckle at your distaste of the bait shrimp. We transported some to GA on one of our FL trips and my granddaughter was heart broken when she learned they were food and not just tank mates for the octo. She definitely wants at least one of the more decorative kind for her first saltwater set up.
There are some really cool shrimp out there- prawn however are just creepy lol my husband is very fond of the peppermint shrimp in the octo tank. Hopefully he learns to dip, duck, dodge and weave! Lol!

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Day 5:

Not a whole lot to report today! Sundays I spend with my grandma so I was only able to spend a little bit of time with her today.

One behavior I’ve noticed her doing a few times since she got here is is sticking an arm or two inside her- syphon? I’m not sure on the correct terminology. I attached a video of what part of her body she is doing it at. Unfortunately I have not been able to get the action itself on video as she is still in her den and by the time I pull my phone up to get it focused she has stopped. Is this normal?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    14.3 MB

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Day 6:

Octavia was resting in her den this morning peacefully! I was able to steal a few moments before work this morning to sit with her. Gosh, she is just so perfect! When I sat down she moved closer to where I was while staying in the den. I reached my finger up to the glass and she came out and perched on rocks by her den. The interaction lasted about 30 seconds but man what a way to start your morning!

She slept through my lunch break. I won't lie I got a little nervous- she was wedged in-between the rocks in her den unlike usual. I held my breath until I saw her mantel rise and fall. Whew! Nothing like a mini mid-day heart attack to get the blood pressure going :sweatsmile: after a quick YouTube search I was able to put my fears to rest. She was just sleeping!

A half hour or so after I got home from work she woke up! I thawed a piece of shrimp out and she took it rather quickly from the safety of her den. A few minuets later I offered a slightly bigger piece and she took that as well! She pulled on the skewer I had the shrimp on and WOW! Wasn’t expecting that kind of strength!!

An hour or so later she came out of her den and went to the other side of the tank (first time we have witnessed this since her arrival) to disgard the piece of shrimp she didn’t eat. I think I may have to cut it up into smaller pieces. While she was out I managed to snag a picture. She has gotten bigger!

Attachments

• D1696FC8-A8B2-4F55-87B5-FC0CB7FE65C6.jpeg
    D1696FC8-A8B2-4F55-87B5-FC0CB7FE65C6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I found that offering eye sized pieces (at least initially) seemed to be the most accepted food, regardless of what the food being presented.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
I found that offering eye sized pieces (at least initially) seemed to be the most accepted food, regardless of what the food being presented.
The first one she ate was about that size so I will keep feeding that amount more frequently! I assumed with as big of an appetite that she has she would accept a larger portion happily lol

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Once the "eye sized pieces are quickly consumed on a regular basis, then you can start increasing the size until you get rejection. However, it is not necessary to offer larger food.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Day 7:

Hoping to have something interesting to report soon… Sweet girl stays in her den. Anything that moves within arms reach is on the menu. My favorite snail became lunch today 🥴 Escargot seems to be a house favorite for her lol

Latest Forum Posts