[Octopus]: How Can You Tell If Your Dwarf Octopus Has Died?

OctoSean

Hatchling
Registered
We haven’t seen our dwarf Octopus for at least 3 weeks and I don’t know how to tell if she’s dead or not? All the edges/seams of her tank are sealed tight, but it doesn’t look like she’s eaten any of the raw shrimp we’ve put in her tank the last week or so. The last time we saw her, she slipped into the crevice of some live rock.

We’ve had her since October 25th and she’s about the size of a dime. We gave her a slow acclimation process and kept the tank covered for the first week, then started lowering the coverings a little each day for the second week, so that her tank was completely uncovered by the end of that week and she was getting full day/night light cycles.

Her tank is 15gallons and she was out/active for about 2 weeks after the cover came down. We’d see her wrapped in the tall grasses or perched in a corner of the tank - she even punched a tentacle at one of the ghost shrimp in her tank.

But we haven’t seen her for the last few weeks and I just don’t know how to tell if she’s still alive in there or not? If she died inside the live rock, would there be anyway for us to know that?

The tank was cycling for a year before she went in and we’ve continued to regularly check the tanks levels and do water changes (without disturbing her rocks or plants) as well as keep some tempting food items available (she’s got a live hermit crab, a live ghost shrimp, and some thawed clam in there right now).

Any advice would be helpful!
Thank you!

:concern:
Sorry you haven't seen your octo, @OctoSean... I recall this happening and one of our resident experts suggested slowly deconstructing your tank (e.g., removing a piece of rock, etc., over days).

Here are some threads from the past dealing with missing octos in home tanks:

Missing for weeks, then found:

One of our experts waited a full 10 weeks before giving up hope (it did not show up):

Here's a thread where it's suggested maybe searching for your octo when it's dark; perhaps it's nocturnal!

I'm sure there are more threads -- best of luck and please keep us posted!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back