• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Octopus Eggs]: Bloopers babies!!

Hadla

GPO
Registered
I was just thinking about that. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. Anyone on here that can help me with this? I have an egg that’s lying on the tank bottom and it’s alive… can I help it hatch somehow? I had two others like it that ended up dying…

Hadla

GPO
Registered
I just counted 35!!! babies! 🤯 well 36 counting the one I inadvertently helped hatch 🤣 I was trying to move his egg with the feeding tweezers and instead he burst out with the shell hanging onto an arm so I tried to pull it off and he inked and swam away 😆

Hadla

GPO
Registered
This was right after counting before helping the one in his egg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    51.4 MB

Hadla

GPO
Registered
They’re starting to attack each other. Getting depressed about this whole thing now. If anyone in or near the Sacramento area wants to have a few to try and raise, please let me know. I don’t personally know of anyone local who could help 😩 just want to save as many as I can…

This was right after counting before helping the one in his egg
They’re starting to attack each other. Getting depressed about this whole thing now. If anyone in or near the Sacramento area wants to have a few to try and raise, please let me know. I don’t personally know of anyone local who could help 😩 just want to save as many as I can…
Sorry wish I was closer. Good luck

tkong

Cuttlefish
Registered
Are these babies aculeatus? I currently have a "bali dwarf octopus" that I haven't had a chance to make a post yet. But I have an extra tank that is empty that I can use to try and raise some. I live in the Bay Area, but wouldn't mind making the trip this weekend.

Hadla

GPO
Registered
Are these babies aculeatus? I currently have a "bali dwarf octopus" that I haven't had a chance to make a post yet. But I have an extra tank that is empty that I can use to try and raise some. I live in the Bay Area, but wouldn't mind making the trip this weekend.
No they’re mercatoris and you’re welcome to drive up if you want

Hadla

GPO
Registered
Well blooper died a few days ago. I’ll miss her until the babies are big enough to actually interact with. I dropped and scattered about 20 empty hermit shells into the nursery which seemed to help with the attacking each other. I gave three away yesterday and still looking for anyone nearby who wants a few!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I gave three away yesterday
nice work finding a new home form them @Hadla -- I think a good "checklist" item is having a plan for how to deal with babies, if that should arise! Seems to happen a LOT. Are you still caring for any at this point?

Hadla

GPO
Registered
nice work finding a new home form them @Hadla -- I think a good "checklist" item is having a plan for how to deal with babies, if that should arise! Seems to happen a LOT. Are you still caring for any at this point?
I have about 7 still in there, counted about an hour ago :smile: I’m going to split them up tomorrow