• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Dwhatley
I'm thinking of grabbing one of the 3 from K&P, I tried using the link but it won't bring me to the address.. Any ideas on age based on size?

Thanks,
jake

try: http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/contact_us.php Philipp wrote that the site was down (again) today but it seemed to be working fine when I found his email. This is a direct link to the contact page but please let me know if it does not work.

I would guess 3 - 5 months from smallest to largest judging from the fingers and coloring, however, I have either way over guessed Yeti's age or she/he is dwarfed :biggrin2:. I really, really want one of them but I am not sure the little one I got two weeks ago is gone and they found an O. hummelincki that I could not pass up.

IMO, these are the perfect age. They are old enough to survive more easily than the little tikes and just about to enter the stage of curiosity. Much before 4 months and they are very recluse (but I have not had one that I could not find for this long before and is why I fear it is dead - do note there are others who have waited longer before spotting a little one and I have encouraged patience :roll:).

:welcome: to TONMO

I am looking to buy a mimic Oct., does anyone have one?

A lot of people don't know it but these guys MAY be endangered. The truth is no one has studied them enough for us to know how many are left but we do know that irresponsible commercial fishing has had a major negative impact on their habitat and their population. In addition, these animals don't ship very well making them a pretty poor option when it comes to selecting an octopus to keep in the home aquarium.

That being said their are some great octos that have a healthy population and do quite well in an aquarium environment. I'd be happy to help you get and care for one them. First question, What size tank do you have?

MimicryJP;192628 said:
Dwhatley
I'm thinking of grabbing one of the 3 from K&P, I tried using the link but it won't bring me to the address.. Any ideas on age based on size?

Thanks,
jake
Jake, GoDaddy (KP's hosting provider) had a major outage on September 10th. The site should now be functioning normally. Philipp mentioned that one of the briareus was sold (this may be yours as he did not provide a buyer name :biggrin2:) but there are still two left.

i'm realy interested in one of these guys but i'd like to know more specifics about the species, can anyone direct me to a certin post that outlines the specific details of o. briareus like maximum size minum tank size ect
thanks

For journals on O. briareus go to the top of the Journals and Photos subforum and open any of the List of Our Octopuses 20xx. From 2008 forward the lists contain the species and links to the journals.

O. briareus is the largest of the animals we typically keep (O. vulgaris is larger but we rarely see one). A 65+ tank is recommended and a sump highly desirable. It is listed as a crepusclar animal and is active late evening and early morning as an adult but will be nocturnal as a youngster. They readily learn feeding time even at this size so feeding anytime after 6:00 PM is not a problem (initially it could be as late as 11:00 PM but working them to an earlier feeding time is not difficult at this age). O. briareus is arguably the most stunning aquarium octopus with its dramatic web-over hunting and very deep web. I find them somewhat less intelligent than some of the other species (my normal comment is that they are the dumb blond of the octo world) but this may be more related to what appears to be short-sightedness than actual intelligence.

If you have the option, I recommend that you place octopus tanks in the eating area or in the TV room. IME they interact more and are more visible if they see people for long periods daily but with slow activity (like couch potato TV watching or eating).

You will need a good den selection and places for it to hide. This is true with all octopuses but since this one will grow significantly, multiple dens of varying size are needed. I prefer to create them with live rock (which you should have in good quantity for biological filtration) but artificial structures can be provided.

Look through the journals and return with specific questions in the introduction forum. We are here to help :biggrin2:

DWhatley;192699 said:
Jake, GoDaddy (KP's hosting provider) had a major outage on September 10th. The site should now be functioning normally. Philipp mentioned that one of the briareus was sold (this may be yours as he did not provide a buyer name :biggrin2:) but there are still two left.

I just emailed him 10 mins ago we'll see what happens, thank you for source dwhatley!

Jake

Hi I'm new to the site, and have been doing some research , as well as octo proofing a a 30 gallon tank. Can anyone lead me to where I might be able to pick up a dwarf octopus, or any that may be the size of a blue ringed?

I'm not an octo keeper, (cuttlefish for me) but I do believe from reading around that the dwarf species are not all that great. They tend to be more secretive, and are rarely seen. Most people recommend upgrading to a larger tank to accomadate a larger species octo that will display more interactions with its owner.
If you're convinced to stay with the 30 gallon tank, maybe go for a cuttle :wink:

Possible Carribean Octopus for sale.

Was just on a website, Salt and Seahorses, in Florida and I noticed they are advertising a Carribean Octopus for $42. Don't know anything about it and maybe it's sold, but thought I'd post just in case it helped someone. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back