• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

skywindsurfer;183408 said:
So do you think there is a good chance we'll see more than just acuelatus?

I sure hope so. It would be nice to have a wider variety from them. They have been getting different kinds of octopuses for their divers den section so its possible that they are widening their selections.

It was sent in the email, but it never went up. The email says something along the lines of possible things going up, but somewhere else it says if they can't get a good picture of it, then they won't put it up. My guess is that that is what happened Or maybe they moved it to a photography tank without a lid and it escaped, or moving it made it den up and lay eggs, if they moved it at all. There are many possible reasons it wouldn't be posted. :[

And LA has 'medium' Indonesian:
Octopus - Assorted: Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates

If anyone is in FL area I manage the fishroom at Allfish Emporium where we sell fish sw/fw from allover the globe. and yes even octopi usually only atlantics though.

So i ordered the medium "Indonesian" from Live Aquaria on Wednesday..it was supposed to ship Thursday and then arrive on Friday, but due to "plane delays" (most likely from snow in the Northeast), they couldn't ship it until today. I'm now anxiously awaiting the arrival!! I'm scared he/she's not going to be in great shape since it spent an extra day in shipping :frown:

Hummm, If the smaller picture is not skewed the front arms appear to be 4 to 5 times mantle length. With the fluorescent spots, and red color (and my limited exposure), I would vote for a nocturnal macropus complex animal akin to Beldar and Puddles but I believe both of mine were Indonesian. Since the temps say 72-78, I am guessing SOUTH Pacific :biggrin2:

Does not look like O. briareus to me. the arms look to short and the color of the blue hue isnt there. Plus are their eyes that bugged out like that? Not to mention it says briareus but it also says its 4" and an Indonesian Reef Octopus.

Lots of confusing info there.

I would not want to make a species guess from the photo. The short arms are easily explained if you look closely at the new growth on ALL the tips but I would not purchase this animal. The color is not healthy. This can be from the lighting but if not it won't likely live to be sold. It is older than the size would indicate and has lost several arms over the course of its life (note the difference in arm thicknesses). There are at least two places on the arms that look susceptible to infection from recent cuts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back