• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

If you can arrange to chill your tanks, you are not committed to the Indonesian animal and Joe-Ceph is comfortable with your setup, a bimac might be a better choice since it will be a young animal of known species. Bimacs are also diurnal (like the aculeatus) so their color perception (if any, it is thought that none of the octos can see color as there are no known color receptors. There is polarized light detection as I understand it though).

I was originally thinking bimac, but then found out the wetlab was maintained at a steady 28 C! I could think about getting some chillers though I'm not sure how it would work with a flow through system. Hmmm I'll have to think about it.

The upside of the Abdopus aculeatus was that they live in a similar area as the only known octopus to be able to distinguish between colors, the Octopus aegina. Its sort of a far stretch, but I was hoping since they're diurnal, and live in similar environments there may be some convergent evolution. I guess we will see!

Very VERY interesting listing in todays diver den Sneak Peek! They are listing a Red Pacific Octopus and are expected to have it listed tonight... I am very interested to see what this turns out to be if anyone here gets it.

Maybe it will be the Eastern Pacific Red Octopus (Octopus rubescens). They are cold water, and from what little I've read, they tend to be nocturnal (maybe), and have a reputation for biting and being aggressive. They are about bimac sized though, so doable. I doubt that they mean "Giant Pacific Octopus", which is red, but too large to be realistic as a pet.

skywindsurfer;183332 said:
That's really cool. I hope people start buying from them so we can get an idea for what to expect. I'm curious about the 'Mexico' ones. Think they could be Octopus Maya?

I was thinking the same thing!

A little part of me wants to be all yay my email REALLY had an impact! Probably just coincidence though.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe they just changed the lables on where the octopus come from to get more business but still get the same octopus from the same people?

skywindsurfer;183392 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe they just changed the lables on where the octopus come from to get more business but still get the same octopus from the same people?

No. The occys in the link above are not even seen by liveaquaria and are drop shipped from the facility in LA that receives tons of shipments from all over the world every day.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back