• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

I wondered about the soccer ball and could not decide if it was joubini or vulgaris. I suspect they have either O. briareus or O. mercatoris since both seem to be showing up in numbers this last week.

I asked for photos and/or the origination body of water. I'll post if they respond.

It seems like the last time you experimented you paid a lot for an adult merc :roll:

They were very quick and very honest with their response:

Denise, I really am clueless as to which species the octopus are. The pic on ebay is a general image of an octopus. I can tell you that the octopus arrives from Bali Indonesia if that helps. They are brown in color, some are darker or lighter. Great item to keep and hardy in nature too.

Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------
Gary
BlueStarAqua Saltwater Fish Coral

I emailed them also asking about the length they estimated. They said much the same thing, that its simply a guide and nothing more. Though, they did say it was the whole octopus they are measuring give or take, so my guess is merc or other small species.

CaptFish;181177 said:
oh yeah...:banghead:

Dont beat yourself up to badly, dont know if you remember all the drama with ocean *** aq******. But me trying to get my "bimac" and at the end of it all I had spent almost 300$ to end up getting a Californian Lilliput that I saw oh about 5 times before it die. I just lick my wounds and move on remembering NEVER to buy from him again... even when I am desperate. :biggrin2:

Who wants to be on a waiting list for a bimac?

Bimacs have great personalities, but for the past few years, the only way to get one is to catch it yourself in southern California. Starting at the end of October, and running through mid March (but especially Dec 10 - Feb 20), there will be low tides, during daylight hours, that are low enough to find O. Bimaculoides in Southern California tide pools. I like to find them, but already have what I can keep, so If I find a young one, I'm willing to pack it and ship it to a Tonmo member if they pay the shipping costs (paid directly to the shipper, not through me). I can ship via Southwest Airlines Cargo "Next Flight Guaranteed" so you'll get it within hours of me packing it (nice and cool and healthy). You'll need to pay Southwest $70-$90 for that when you pick it up at the airport.

I want to collect cell phone numbers of people that want a bimac, and can be ready to take one with only a day or two notice. If I find a small bimac, I'll call you, from the beach, to verify that you are ready to take it, and if so, I'll take it home and ship it within a few days. If no body I call is ready, then I'll just let it go (after pictures!). If you are interested, send me a Private Message with a cell phone number, a description of your bimac set up and experience, and an idea of how soon you can be ready.

Details and disclaimers:
1) There's no guarantee that I'll send you a bimac. I'll probably hit the tide pools four or five times during the next six months, and maybe find one (or none, or three) each time I go. No fair getting mad at me - for anything.
2) It's legal for me to take octopus with a sport-fishing license, and to give them away for free, but not to sell or trade them. It is very important that you don't offer to give me anything, or even to do me any favors, in exchange for a bimac. I'm willing to do this just to help people out who really want a bimac, but can't catch their own, because there's no known commercial source. If you offer to trade with me, or compensate me in any way, I can't send you a bimac - no kidding - I can only accept your thanks (and not much of that! :smile:)
3) I won't let you send me money for shipping, because it looks too much like I'm being paid, so you need to pay the shipping company directly. If we ship via Southwest airlines Cargo you can pay them for shipping when you pick the bimac up. If you want to ship another way, you need to figure out a way to pay them, and tell me where/how to drop off the package (I'm in San Diego).
4) I'll pack it in a thick plastic bag, with oxygen, in another bag, in a Styrofoam box, in a cardboard box. Southwest Cargo ships anything up to 100 lbs for $70-$90 on the "Next Flight Guaranteed" (NFG), so I can include lots of water, and a couple frozen water bottles to keep things cool. The bimac is very likely to get to you within a few hours of packing, in perfect shape, having never been exposed to any captive animals (or their diseases or parasites). However, if it shows up dead, or sick, you're still out the money for shipping, and I won't reimburse you, so you need to be willing to take that chance.
5) I can make a slightly educated guess about the sex of a bimac, but it's really a coin toss.
6) To get on this bimac waiting list, you need to convince me (not just assure me) that you will be able to take good care of a bimac, so tell me how you plan to take care of it when you PM me your cell phone number.
7) If and when you get a call from me, your bimac tank needs to be within a few days of ready for a bimac, so you'll need to prepare, and be ready, just in case I call. I know that's a lot to ask, but my wife is only willing to step over a bimac in a five gallon bucket in our bathroom for a few days, and I'd rather let a biamc go than send it to an un-cycled tank, or one that's not appropriate for it.

I did this twice last year for two Tonmo people, via Southwest Air Cargo, and it worked out great, but I caught the bimacs before I had people lined up to take them, and had buckets in my bathroom for weeks, so this year I want to get the people lined up first. PM me if you're interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back