• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Just a word about Live Aquaria - IMO they are one of the only places trying to do cephs right (well everything else too) and I think we should give them as much slack as possible. They are one of the only supplier that not only actually processes customer input, but they actively seek out information on the octos they have for sale, trying to get them ID'd as well as possible. The reason I bring this up is because dealing with cephs for sale is a huge pain in the rear and it would take very little for them to stop carrying them all together. So, while I understand frustration in miscommunication and sales and the like, they are a good game in town trying to do right by the animals and the customers.

In general, the demand for cephs is very very low. If we want more to be available more often I think we have to be as generous as we can to suppliers that are actually trying to be responsible. Thanks for listening!

I have to agree.
L.A. listens to their customers, and honers their generous guarantee. Pricing is very fair as well.
When I emailed them my concerns, they listened, replied right away, and asked me to keep them posted.

Getting an octo from L.A. today - will let you know how it goes.

My previous octo experience was with a pair of dwarf octos from the LFS - they lived about 6 months, and didn't come out much... I'll let you guys know how it goes - the octo is going into a 15 gallon temp container within my 2000 gallon tank, and then moving to his own 85 gallon tank next week.

I recently lost my O. Briarius. Was thinking of ordering from LiveAquaria.
How will the octo I get from them differ from the briarius?
Same size and care?

mike

It will likely be a A.aculeatus. Compared to an O.briareus it will be much smaller. It will not likely be with you as long as your the Briareus. 2-3 months seems to be the average for the aculeatus. Care will be similar just for a smaller octo so less food, but a diet of live crabs and frozen shrimp works great like with most octopuses, just smaller cras and small bits or raw shrimp. Some eat hermit crabs which the O.briareus is not known for.

So I was at my LFS, Something's Fishy-11730 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami, And they had a Hummelincki which they had ordered for a customer. Other than mine this is the only other cephalopods I have seen there but Kay, the owner, said he can get them anytime, all year round and that they will always be that same species.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back