• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

A question

Has anyone ever ordered from TampaBay saltwater? Do they accurately represent what they sell? I was going to order a vulgaris from them and was worried that I would get a dwarf or a briareus instead. Any help is appreciated.

im pretty sure they know the difference, since he told me he has just one vulgaris in stock and several mercs. and he seem to know what hes talking about. Also, i saw a vulgaris on ebay for incredibly cheap, if anyone is interested.

TBS has a very good reputation. Richard, who asked me to post about the vulgaris and gulf dwarfs, dives himselves and seems to know the species. Look at the website - very interesting reading there. I would buy from them myself.
I've read a lot of good comments from people who buy their live rock packages.

How big is your tank?

Nancy

90 gal. What does anyone know about successful keeping of the vulgaris? I currently have (3) bimacs (1 adult from zyan silver, 1 small from Adam Daw, adn another young adult from marinedepot) all thriving. I also just received an unknown juvenile from a local petstore that was sold to me as a vulgaris. I am going to put some pics of him online later in hopes to correctly identify.

i think 90 gal. might be a bit small for a Vulgaris, though it should be good for while it is still small, many told me my 110 was too small for a vulgaris back when i was interested in one, so you might consider upgrading. Just wondering was the bimac from marine depot a bimaculoid?

I too won an auction on eBay for an alleged o. vulgaris here is the link and please, can anyone verify as to what type of octopi this may be???? The seller is islandmarinelife from the Fla Keys.

Here is a copy of he details of the ad followed by a pic.

Octopus (Vulgaris?) This amazing cephalopod is about 2 inches from head to base at the moment( not including arms) They are very intelligent creatures. This is not for beginners. Please do your homework! They are best in their own system.they are carnivorous, and can be very sensitive to water quality. They prefer a soft sand bottom to burrow in and live rock with lots of hiding places to make them feel secure. They are great escape artists, so you need a lid on your system.They will eat just about anything (fish, shrimp,pieces of clam and especially crab) They need a large tank (50+ gallons) This is the one you will receive.Isn't he cool??? These creatures are worth the extra care.
We guarantee live delivery under all circumstances. In the event of a loss, just e-mail us a digital photo of the lost item and a brief explanation of what occurred and we will replace the item or refund your money.

We ship FedEx (overnight) and the shipping charge is $25.00. If you win more than one item from our auction, or purchase more than one item from our store, we can combine shipping and the shipping cost for each extra item is just $3.00 per item. All shipping is done on Mondays and Tuesdays, please pay promptly.

Attachments

• conv_292008.jpg
    conv_292008.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 53
how many tanks do you have?!?!?! so you have three bimacs and are getting two vulgarises?!?! thats atleast three 55 gal. tanks and two 100 plus tanks. Thats crazy!

Hi, this is my first TONMO post...

I am setting up a 24g nanocube (currently cycling with LR) as a species tank for O. mercatoris. I will post in another forum on ceph-proofing the tank (especially keeping him/her away from the return pump). For this forum, can anyone give me advice on who/where to procure a specimen from, when (time of year) to do it, and if I should attempt to raise a juvenile, or from egg(s), or...?

Any advice appreciated.

Ian Field
Amateur Biologist and Computer Programmer
San Diego

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

For mercatoris, contact Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater - he had several "gulf dwarfs" last week, which are probably mercatoris. Scroll down in this forum to see the discussion.

Nancy

:welcome: to TONMO!

I'll repeat the usual suggestion that the Articles button at the top has ceph-care articles that have a lot of good info in them, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back