• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

My guess is that they thought a Red octopus would catch the attention of the casual aquarist instead of a brown one, so they just picked a picture for their stock photo of an octopus they thought looks cool. At least I hope so, anyone ordering from them would be in a heck of a surprise if they expect a Bimac and get that (or vis versa). If the one in the photo is the one they sell, it might be neat to have one (assuming it is not a large species, although it appears to be), and to learn where they are raising them.

It does say tan under color.

shipposhack;103200 said:
My guess is that they thought a Red octopus would catch the attention of the casual aquarist instead of a brown one, so they just picked a picture for their stock photo of an octopus they thought looks cool. At least I hope so, anyone ordering from them would be in a heck of a surprise if they expect a Bimac and get that (or vis versa). If the one in the photo is the one they sell, it might be neat to have one (assuming it is not a large species, although it appears to be), and to learn where they are raising them.

It does say tan under color.

I have seen this site before and every time they have an octo for sale they use that same shot.

www.tropicalfishoutlet.com has a lot of exotic critters. That octopus and the other octopus picture are just there as something to click on, I seriously doubt if it's supposed to represent the exact species of octopus they are selling. It's been the same every time I've looked at that site over the past couple of years. If it says "Tank Bred Bimac" that's probably what it is, considering any other time you get "Brown Octopus" or "Dwarf Octopus" or even better "Assorted Octopus"...

Their shipping is kind of ridiculous. About $75 compared to most others $32-$35.

is anyone out there breeding or selling generally? I will be looking for (ideally) a bimac around late december-early january. Whether or not it is very young isnt really important. honestly i'd prefer one that is a few months old.

I am just hesitant to have my LFS order an adult or buy one online that is of unknown species and possibly in its last weeks already.

any leads on the horizon?

Well, I finished getting my octo tank ready. Its a 55 gallon with about 50lbs of live rock. A 20 gallon sump/ref. A 1/4 hp chiller (and heater just in case). A berlin protein skimmer (not turned on yet). Monterey beach sand. A custom built overflow. (Still got some Damsels in there from cycling) I'm gonna give it a few more days to see if its stable and that the Nitrate levels are close to zero. ... the bottom line is that I will be looking for a young Bimac pretty soon. Any age up to 6 months is fine. If very young I can put a smaller cage in the tank. Anyone got any leads. As soon as I find one. I'm gonna bring the tank down to at least 72degrees over a few days (currently at 77 for faster cycling). Im ready to go, I would rather find a captive bred then collect locally (so Cal). Im in Northern California.

Marine Solutions outside of St. Louis Missouri gets pygmys often, it is where I got mine, and he is well adjusted, eating well, and has a great personality.

Alexandra;103539 said:
Marine Solutions outside of St. Louis Missouri gets pygmys often, it is where I got mine, and he is well adjusted, eating well, and has a great personality.

Thanks for the tip, :welcome: to TONMO, and please let us know the details of your octo, maybe in "introduce yourself" or "journals and photos" (or both!) since I'm sure Nancy would like to put the details into the "list of our octopuses"

Alexandra,
If they have a website, please post the link. I did find a MarineSolutionsInc.com that had octopus on the front page but it was in the wrong state and the reference was to a skimmer.
Thanks,

My LFS will order me octos for around 40$ from his supplier and that saves me on shipping,, might be a better rought for some, not sure of what type he will get, they have bluering and ocotopus lol...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back