• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

For people interested in my bimacs currently I'm feeding them small snails and hermit crabs, they will also eat small ghost shrimp. It is best to keep them in a small container at first such as the mesh breeding baskets that you can hang from the side of your tank until they are 2 inches or larger so that it's easier to feed and observe them.

Right now I have a small critter cage to put inside the tank, is this ok or should I go with the net? about how large are they or can you post a photo? I am guessing that if they can take small snails and hermits they are about the size of a dime?

Right now they are between the size of a nickel and quarter. A critter cage is a little iffy as they might be able to crawl out through the top vents. The good thing about the mesh breeders is that sense they hang from the top of the tank the top of the net is out of the water and therefor inhibits the octo's from crawling out. It's also good to lower the water level of your tank a little so there is about 2 inches of air space from the top of the water and the top of the breeder net.

Oh good, I didnt mean to sound doubtful about it, was more that I have now found 3 in the last couple days when I had not been able to find any prior to that.-sry if that was how my "sheesh" may have come across, was not meant to be negative.

dwhatley;102670 said:
Rob,
Tom often offers them on his site and is a respectable, licenses collector. I believe Drakanorn bought his from him.

What a horses rear... I have been emailing him because on his website he only charges a straight up $30 for Briareus and just last week he told me he hadn't seen any for 6 weeks. So I guess he would rather sell to the highest bidder... bah!

I just won a Briareus on Ebay this past Saturday from Dana and Monday he responded with "I lost the little guy in a big tank, have to find him, sorry for the delay". I responded with "I just want my money back" because chances are it escaped to its death. I haven't heard from him since.

tom did a few times in a row... i kept getting him to put me down for one and i kept calling and seeing if he had any yet and everytime he said no i saw one go up for sale on ebay from him... finally i called him about it and he fessed up and still refused to sell one to me at the price on the website said "why should i sell you one for 25 when i can get 50 or more for it"

didnt fall under the good seller manners for me

ok done with my rant... back to looking for a new place to live

This is the response I got from Tom:

I haven't had an Octopus for 6 months. Then I got 3 and only one of them was not missing all of his legs. He's on Ebay. I got them from someone that had them in plastic jars with a bunch of other fish. Every time the Octopus would stick his arms out the fish would eat them.

I have one with 8 1/2-1" legs that I will sell for 20.00

one with 2 legs and the others are 1/2'-1" I will sell for 25.00

Last week when he emailed me back it was 6 weeks since he'd had an octopus.

AM,
Tom is a decent collector but, well, he is my age but heavier by a large percentage and drives a red vet ... (OK, so I drive a small brand name convertable too but it is not RED). His general demeanor is why I recommended Dana. I am surprised that Dana was not better with his response though, perhaps he is not struggling as much as in the past or married life has added complexity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back