• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

dwhatley;102784 said:
AM,
Tom is a decent collector but, well, he is my age but heavier by a large percentage and drives a red vet ... (OK, so I drive a small brand name convertable too but it is not RED). His general demeanor is why I recommended Dana. I am surprised that Dana was not better with his response though, perhaps he is not struggling as much as in the past or married life has added complexity.

Dana got back to me and refunded my money, the Briareus he had was finally found... in the filter missing most of its legs, as I feared. He told me I should contact Tom because, as Dana said, "I know he's got a great one right now for $35"

This is possibly one of the most disturbing threads I have ever read. It takes a while to boil it all down, but it really casts a dim view on octopus collection for captive rearing. I do hope what we are seeing as a trend is just a glitch, and the community can get back to studying cephalopods soon.

cthulhu77;102808 said:
This is possibly one of the most disturbing threads I have ever read. It takes a while to boil it all down, but it really casts a dim view on octopus collection for captive rearing. I do hope what we are seeing as a trend is just a glitch, and the community can get back to studying cephalopods soon.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say. It could just be me though, I'm pretty tired ATM. If what I think you're saying is what you mean, then yes, the point of this thread is to let people know when and where certain octopus species have been collected/are available primarily for enjoyment and nothing else. While some members of this site want to attempt to carry out experiments and do research on their octopus, the majority would just like to have an amazing creature in their home to observe. Not sure what you mean by your lat sentence.

Please forgive me and ignore my post if my thinking is wrong.

Peace

No, I wasn't commenting on the base idea of the thread at all, just the activity that seems to be surrounding the octopus collection. There are a lot of you out there, that really care for the species you maintain, and we need to be supporting those efforts. Not the money hungry ebay people.

exactly why i refuse to get anything through tom... i would much rather buy an octo or a cuttle from someone who either tank raised them or wild caught them that has a love for the creatures and is not just in if for the profit than someone who catches them for just profit and while trying to "sell them" provides them with inadiquate housing consequently losing many to "dissapearences" and therefore the customer not recieving the ceph, and many cephs dying for no reason. in my opinion this falls under the same catagory as those people who keep freshwater tanks and see a mimic in a pet store and say "i gotta have that ill take it" not knowing a thing about keeping a ceph and not caring about that fact.

now that this thread has turned into a collecting/selling rant instead of a place to find ceph pets should we move this little deviation to another thread or just get back to finding cephs for sale?

Not at all. I think that the Tonmo consumer should be able to see the good and the bad, so as to make a better informed choice about where they buy their cephs. Remember, there are a lot of really great octopus keepers out in the virtual world who do sell/trade quality animals that are well cared for.

This is the perfect spot to look for them.

Aw, that's a shame Marinebio. I will be looking for a young bimac in a couple months time, if anyone else will be selling around then.

Marinebio,

I am in the process of getting a species tank set up, but I've just barely started, have a few months to go. Two things I was wondering. What is an estimate on when you would have any octopus bimaculoides available again. Also, I was wondering how well this species does when shipped(I am in Texas).

Thanks.

Marinebio_guy: Your pm space is full.

Was wondering your paypal information and if you want the payment now. Also, when would you like shipping info?

Thanks. :smile:

Zyan Silver told us a few months ago that his dad was continuing the bimac raising project that Zyan carried on last year.

But, we haven't heard anything else since. Does anyone know how to contact Zyan or his dad? This is important to us because it would mean another supply of bimacs.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back