octo escap'e

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
:feet:

Or...

Take a 'sufficiently large' block of sugar and cut it up into 0.5 mm cubical grains. Each grain will have a volume of 0.125 cubic mm. One cup is equal to 236.588 mL, which is equal to 236,588 cubic mm. Thus, we can fit 1,890,000 grains in a cup. If we take these grains and lie them end-to-end, they will stretch 945 m. The Moon is, on average, about 384,500,000 m from Earth. Therefore, it would take about 407,000 cups of sugar to reach the Moon.

Neil

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
sugar cane would probably be more cost effective as it is longer???

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Well, I was taking a solid block of sucrose and cutting it precisely into cubes of a specified size. If we reduce the grain size to 0.1 mm, then it only takes something like 16,250 cups of sugar to reach the Moon. What if we spin the sugar into threads 0.01 mm in thickness? What if we consider just making a single gigantic polysaccharide?

Neil

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yeah, ive always fancied a *trip* to the moon

em, em, em, em,

errrrrrrrr.. em...
Not all octopuses are so keen to escape :|

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
joel_ang said:
:o :shock: Well I got the signature from The Goofy Movie . You guys actually bothered :lol: Don't know why but the answer they gave was 2 :P

It's the absiiiiiiiinthe...

If we took 1 cup of antisugar and mixed it with 1 cup of sugar, Star Trek style, we could probably get to Pluto. We'd have to have a small payload and lots of gravity-assist, though. Neil

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I can imagine a non-sugar and/or absinthe route... it involves a teuthologist and a certain singers memorablia...

Steve: "One of these days Kat...."

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
Man!!! this is the funniest thread in the entire forum!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

why don't you use the old ball and chain to keep an octo from escaping. it works well in those old prison movies.

btw has anybody ever tried salt to get to the moon?

but seriously. any holes should be covered with fine mesh that's for sure.

what I've seen to prevent escaping in the antwerp zoo, is the following.
they have several octopus vulgaris. 1 on display, the others behind the scenes. They cover the tanks with those blue filtration mats that are used for the garden pond. apparantly the octo's suckers have no grip on that surface.

for the vulgaris in aquatopia. the top of his tank is covered with artificial grass. his suckers have no grip on that either.

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
dragonfish said:
btw has anybody ever tried salt to get to the moon?

I believe that the Soviets tried and failed. I've heard rumours that the Chinese are going to give it another try, given the past two decades' great advances in seasoning-rocket technology.

They will probably have a tough time of it, though. The Yanks have proven conclusively that liquid condiments give the best performance for the money.Neil

NASA = National A1 Sauce Administration

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
um... said:
I've heard rumours that the Chinese are going to give it another try, given the past two decades' great advances in seasoning-rocket technology.

They just need a little more thyme...

uuuunnnnnggggg...

:tomato: