• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New to Cephs: Just got a Mercatoris

squishy2020

Hatchling
Registered
Hi folks. My little guy is sitting in a fish trap in my main tank with hiding places and he had a crab for a midnight snack on his first night home. I am setting up a tank for him but he will stay in the fish trap until then. I click on the Mercatoris tag on this forum and only found 4 threads so I am reaching out to learn as much as I can. Please help me with links to credible resources to read and your expertise would be most appreciated.

Habitat:
I'll be setting up a tank with a submersible filter and a lid. will make sure the water level is at least 1 inch below the lid - would he still crawl out? The lid has gaps on all sides so I'll have to work on that before I put him in there.
Recommendation for filters? What about a circulation pump/powerhead? Is he going to go an kill himself?
I don't intend to have corals in here, maybe common mushrooms and zoas, but I am intending to keep macro algae so the light has to be bright enough - do they tend to hide when there is a bright light on the tank? I will have hidey spots a-plenty.
Does he need sand?

Food:
He had a crab. He's tiny so how often do I feed him? Will he eat a live mussel or clam?
I am not sure if I can get live crabs all the time. I know he's not strong enough to open their shell so I will be helping. I hope he likes frozen but time will tell. (I'll wave it on a bamboo skewer to entice)

I'm sure I will have a ton more questions - thank you for your help.
IMG_20201001_122244.jpg
IMG_20201001_121335.jpg

squishy2020

Hatchling
Registered
welcome to TONMO, @squishy2020 -- thanks for joining and sharing!

Hmm, that's odd, I count 22 threads (and I am sure there more as all our content is tagged yet. Try this link: mercatoris
Thank you, I am going through them, was hoping for a comprehensive guide - but I guess I will read through journals. One of the links offered details on how ot set up a tank which had some info but it was mostly geared towards explaining the nitrogen cycle and types of filtration available, not really this is the most common filtration used for an octo tank and why.

He is currently in a fish trap in my main tank and I'll leave him there till his tank is ready. I'm still trying to figure out what to give him for live food - please suggest.

Thank you

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Your little guy will eat crabs and shrimp (even good quality thawed frozen shrimp).
He will also eat clams and mussels, but shrimp and crabs are preferred. Be sure to clean up any remnants.

He will not eat bait worms.
Nancy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak