• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New tank, any advice appreciated


Jan 31, 2005
So far I've got a 100 gal long glass aquarium. A 200 gal capacity wet/dry with pre-filter and in-sump 150 gal capacty protien skimmer.
I'm planning on using particulate live rock in the wet/dry, at least 150 lds of live rock in the tank, and live sand.

Now the questions...
Since this is a glass tank I will need an overflow, and a filter of some sort (I guess a canister filter) any opinions on brands?
Also, which is better the siphon type or the CPR overflow?

Next question, as far as live rock, is it ok to use different types in the same tank (ie: fiji and tonga)? Is one type better for a bimac?

Besides the obvious; lights, pumps, a secure top, am I missing anything?
I think I'm confused - if you have a sump, don't you already have an overflow? Or are you just buying the equipment now?

If you have a wet dry filter and protein skimmer, you may not need an additional filter. You should probably have a powerhead for water circulation.

You can mix live rock from various places. I think 150 pounds of live rock in a 100 gallon tank may not leave much room for the octopus to move around or play in the sand. Maybe 100 pounds would be better. You can have too much rock in an octo tank.

Have a look at our Ceph Care articles. Click on the Ceph Care button above. I'd recommend the Equipment List, Checklist and Bimac Care Sheet to start with.

Hi Corman

as for brands of filter i normally go for either Fluval or Eheim, both are fine. But as nancy said, maybe not that necessary unless its a place to put carbon or phosphate remover?

a glass tank can be drilled for a sump overflow... can a local LFS do that for you?

make sure that octo arms cant be pushed into pumps and powerheads.

Bimacs are not a tropical species so watch the temperature.
Nancy said:
I think I'm confused - if you have a sump, don't you already have an overflow? Or are you just buying the equipment now?


Just buying the equipment right now.

Is a drilled tank that much better than an overflow box? As I'm sure you know, transporting an aquarium of this size is not easy.

Thanks to both of you for your input! corman
An overflow box usually leads to two holes drilled in the tank - at least, the purchased ones are set up this way.

I have heard about the water going to and returning from the sump by using large tubing that entered and exited over the top of the overflow. This might require some inventiveness in sealing the tank for an octo.

So I assume you have no holes in your tank right now.

Since some people are a little hesitant to have their tank drilled (either because of the difficulty in moving it or uneasy about drilling a hole in a load-bearing glass span) there are a number of siphon overflow boxes on the market. I use a Marineland SOS. If you get one you should check the siphon every day for bubbles--a big enough bubble can break the water flow. Then your tank overflows and your pump burns out.

There's an overflow on the market from Pro Clear I've seen that uses a 1" plastic u-tube for the siphon. If you go with a siphon overflow stay away from that one because I've heard on other message boards that a 1" tube will inevitably get bubbles.

Any chance a LFS guy will come to your house to drill the tank? There are several people in the UK who do it so TX shouldnt be a problem :wink:

Never had to use an overflow box, so cant comment on how well they work. But syphons in sump set ups are surly asking for trouble like Dan says...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.